Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workwoman's Guide Seam Allowance?  (Read 1698 times)
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »

(This applies to either the ladies' or men's section, though I am working on a men's pattern.  Please feel free to move this).

I am working on a mock-up of the men's drawers pattern in The Workwoman's Guide.  While making the pattern, I came across a problem to which I can't seem to find an answer.  Namely, do The Workwoman's Guide patterns include seam allowance?

I have reason to think that the men's drawers pattern (at least) does.  The pattern says to procure the material 14 nails wide; this is the exact width of the diagram.  Also, to cut each breadth (for each leg) 13 nails long; although the figure is barely legible, I do believe the exact length of the diagram is 13 nails.  Surely, if the pattern doesn't include seam allowance, they wouldn't tell you to cut your material to these measures.

I made my mock-up assuming 1/4" seam allowances, and everything seams to be okay.  However, if I were making something that was to fit precisely, I would need to know for certain whether or no they included seam allowances.

Does anyone have an answer or opinion?

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »

However, if I were making something that was to fit precisely, I would need to know for certain whether or no they included seam allowances.

I think this is the key -- drawers and square-cut shirts do not fit precisely.  If you have fitting problems, go up one size Smiley.

Don't try this with a frock or tailcoat pattern....
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »

Don't try this with a frock or tailcoat pattern....

Quite right Smiley.

Fortunately for this project it wasn't critical.  Still, does anyone know for sure if seam allowances are included?

Allison van Vegten

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

Scanning through it on-line with searches for seam, seam allowance, turn, turning, and allowance, there's not a standard seam allowance given for all the projects.

Some do warn to "allow extra for hems" and "the finished crown will be 1 nail across; allow for turning down the hem as needed" (both meaning to add what you want and need extra.)

In several spots, there's a note about "allowing 1/4 nail for turning in"; one nail is 1/16 of a yard, or 2.25", so 1/4 nail would be .56"... so go either 1/2" or 5/8", whichever you prefer, on edges that will be narrow hemmed (you'll get a finished 1/4" hem.)

Most of the caps can be made with narrow hems (1/4" or so); double check what you need for the person against the size, and fudge around a bit from there. Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »

Thank you, Mrs. Clark, for checking on this.  I shall use my own discretion based on the project, then.  Thank you!

Allison van Vegten

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: