Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Shiny New Project Announcement... and Request!  (Read 3246 times)
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: June 08, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »

Hello, friends!

For a few years now, I've been trying to resolve a set of problems:

1: With the departure of the original editress, Susan Hughes, and then the second editress, Connie Payne, the Citizen's Companion, which had been a great source for 19th century context, no longer exists in a viable, research-based form.

2: Print publication is beastly expensive.

3: I hate reading ads on web-based publications.
3.1: The last web-based publication was not viable for very long, in part because the reading pool is very small, and the tiny vendors cannot spend enough on ads to make a profit for the publishers.

4: Wouldn't it be nice to bring living history enthusiasts, educators, and historic site folks together in one spot to support the goals of connecting people to our shared national family history?

5: The Sewing Academy main website has a developed name with a *clothing* focus, and bringing in the full range of context I find fascinating would dilute that focus.

6: I, personally, want a stable resource for mid-19th century research and context.

I do believe we've found a good solution.

July 1, we're opening a brand new website. It has free subscription access in a blog format, delivering content right to subscribers' email inbox.

When accessed on the website, each article has a PDF download option, to be stored or printed for personal and educational use.

Most articles will have free printable interpretive resources, such as sheet music that prints out in a folio format suitable to have out in a historic setting, or replica paper ephemera that can be used as part of a living history program, education activity, or site props.

All the articles are also available sorted into topic categories, to simplify resource location and research every day of the week, for years to come.

Every topic is open for research: transportation, science, music and the arts, foods, agriculture, social reform, emigrant populations, profession profiles... if it existed in the 19th century, it's a possible topic for inclusion. Also on the site: articles and resources to improve living history interpretive planning for both private enthusiasts and sites.

Now, this kind of access does have a cost; that cost is largely for bandwidth transfer. The blog-style format streamlines the bandwidth use quite a lot, which helps, and David and I are committed to rolling those costs as far as possible into our normal business operating costs. (He's quite practical when I get a notion to do something. It's useful.) To make the project as self-supporting as possible, once a year we'll compile all the articles and resources published in the previous 365 days into a stand-alone printed volume, which will be made available at a price that covers the printing costs, and lets us roll a bit of profit toward the operating costs of the database. Purchase of the print compilation is entirely optional, but we hope many readers will want a bound copy on their shelf for future reference, of course!

So, yeah: kind of fun. Smiley

What was the request?

Do you have a pet passion related to the 19th century? Would you like to share it? You'll find information about the depth and style of articles we're interested in adding at the link below, along with the complete writer's agreement (in plain English!) and a way to submit content.

I won't be going public with the request for writers until after 1 July... until then, I wanted to let the community here on the Forum have first dibs on topics. Smiley

http://www.historyinsitu.com/about/write-for-in-situ/

If you have any questions about the whole History In Situ project, please let me know! I have a specific email for this one: liz@historyinsitu.com

WHEW... feels good to go semi-public. I've been fermenting and percolating about this for a year. Cheesy

Regards,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »

And just to reassure you: The Sewing Academy main site is staying right where it is. It will remain focused on mid-century clothing topics, and we'll cross link to interesting stuff on the new site. Nothing will change with workshops, patterns, books, or the Compendium.

At some point this summer, I'll do a big update on the forum software, and the visual look will change, but the database here won't.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

Yay!!!  This is so exciting!  Was this what Carolann eluded to at the Conference?
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »

Excellent! I can't wait to see where this goes!

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »

Malinda, no--this is totally different, just happened to develop at the same time (which was actually pretty hilarious to us, and confirmed that the general premise of each was A Very Good Idea.)

Carolann's Big Shiny Project will have a different target readership and different focus, and will be highly cool--there'll definitely be some readership crossover, even though each project has its own niche. I'm VERY excited to hear more details on her project, too. Knowing a few of the involved people, it'll be *amazing.*

Regards,
Elizabeth
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »

Seriously cool.
Forwarding a link to this thread to all my folks who aren't on here or rarely on here.

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »

So there's another exciting thing to look forward to then.  I love it when stuff like this happens- two separate ideas confirming each other.   Smiley

I'm still incredibly excited about this plan, too.  I love the idea of printable interpretive resources, as well as the option to purchase a print copy of a year's worth of articles.  I'll be thinking about topics. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
darlinedemott
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »

This is just wonderful!  I've learned so much on the Sewing Academy site, and I look forward to the new site -- THANK YOU for your work and willingness to invest in "us" -- I for one, am grateful. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: