Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: white pinafore fabric  (Read 3793 times)
Marjorie
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

What is the best to use that's durable yet lightweight?  Muslin?  Broadcloth?  I think batiste would be too thin and not hold up well.

I have plenty of white utility muslin, no white broadcloth.

This is for a newly-turned 3 yo girl who gets filthy but isn't super active (she sits under the pine tree and plays in the dirt and pine sap, but doesn't climb the tree).  Also, Minnesota/Wisconsin warm, humid summers. 

I love the way white looks, and I like the thought of sunbleaching (I do that with our clothes, now).  I was all set to go utility muslin, but I'm not sure if it's too heavy/hot for summer.  At the same time, it needs to hold up to at least a season, hopefully more, so the really sheer fabrics don't seen durable enough.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »

Since she likes to be filthy, don't use white. Use a print cotton with dominant colors of the dirt you most usually encounter. Smiley

Seriously, though: print aprons and such are designed to last for a season or maybe two, so they don't need to be terribly durable. If you use white, go ahead and use basic muslin for a pinafore or two; they'll need some starch to look well, but that also helps them repel filth, so it's a win-win, and cheap!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Marjorie
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

I actually do have a print that is scrap fabric, that I love, but I'm not quite sure if it's period.  I was going to make a pinafore and then post it, and if the fabric doesn't pass, use it for modern.

I was reading through the pinafore threads though and got the impression that white was much more common mid-century as opposed to prints, but prints are much more represented in re-enactors.

So I was trying to be a good progressive and use what was more common but most people don't Smiley

I actually thought I had a bunch of good fabric, and in the winter it looked great, but now that it's summer i'm thinking that those dark colors that looked wonderful in 10 degrees won't be so great in 85.

Can I use a semi-sheer plaid?  I have plenty of extra material from teen dd's dress (that still hasn't been made....).  It would be lighter weight than either muslin or printed cotton, and I do worry about the heat.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:28:03 PM »

I'd save the semi-sheer for a full dress for the little one, and use white muslin for the pinafores. It'll be quite light, and over the lightweight dress, she should do alright.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: