Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short to long trousers  (Read 5770 times)
Elaine Robeck
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:15 AM »

I'm making the KayFig boy's suit.  I want to know if this style of trousers is appropriate to make long instead of short (as is in the pattern.)  

My son is getting AFOs (foot ankle orthotics), and he choose to have them made in blue camo.  They are cute, but not real discreet.  In addition, I understand that getting shoes to fit can be tricky, so we may have fewer choices than before.  Long pants may help hide a multitude of sins.

Many thanks,

Elaine
Marta Vincent
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »

Yes the style can be made in long pants.  Make the top exactly as is, but taper the legs a trifle (not much) so they don't end up too big at the bottom.

If you look at images of boys that are a bit older - say 5 -7 yrs - their pants are still that "blousey" cut like little boys.  You also can, if you like, make them with a fly front as he becomes more able to work with a button fly.  So you can plan to use the trousers perhaps longer that the rest of the pattern pieces. 

Elaine Robeck
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »

Thank you, Marta! 

If you look at images of boys that are a bit older - say 5 -7 yrs - their pants are still that "blousey" cut like little boys.  You also can, if you like, make them with a fly front as he becomes more able to work with a button fly.  So you can plan to use the trousers perhaps longer that the rest of the pattern pieces. 

Great idea!  My boy will be 7 this summer, but due to a limb difference wears a size 4 pants and is just 41" tall.

Wait!  You mean they eventually start to use the fly with all the button holes I painstakingly sewed?  I swear both my older boys shimmy the trousers down and never bother.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: