Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Home, Sweet Home" - Fort Snelling, St. Paul MN, August 14-16 2015  (Read 15317 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: March 19, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »

It's very early to be announcing this, but I want to put it on everyone's radar!

Event: "Home, Sweet Home", recreating the return of the 2nd Minnesota to Saint Paul, July 1865
Dates: August 14-16, 2015
Location: Historic Fort Snelling, just south of St. Paul and Minneapolis, MN
Civilian Coordinator: Betsy Connolly elisabethconnolly@hotmail.com

We will be reenacting the return of the 2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry to Saint Paul in July 1865, including all the festivities and celebrations that occurred upon their return. This will be a semi-immersion event with public attendance. We are looking for high-quality progressive impressions to portray the citizens of Saint Paul and surrounding environs, coming out to welcome home the returning troops.

The site is Historic Fort Snelling, located just south of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Fort Snelling is an important fixture in Minnesota history; it had been decommissioned prior to 1861 but was revived for training and induction, and in 1865 the troops returned there to await mustering out. We will be able to inhabit the Fort and interpret it as it was in 1865.

It is still very early and there are a lot of details to be finalized, but there will be opportunities for civilian involvement in vignettes and scenarios. We have some really, really cool things we're working on to recreate the events of July 1865. We are working on what sort of accommodations will be available to civilians, but there should be opportunities for staying on-site, and day-trippers are also very welcome.

Stay tuned here for more details as they are made available. There is a website in the works. Like I said, it's still early days and there are many details to be ironed out. If you have any questions, please contact me via the email address above. Please note that all civilian impressions must be approved by the coordinators and pre-registered, and that this is an invitational event for civilians.

I hope I will see many of you there! It promises to be a really fun event at a great site!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:09:30 PM by BetsyConnolly » Logged

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Elaine M
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

Betsy,

Our family is planning on coming to this year's event...so if you make Minnesota special enough - you know, mints on the pillows and such, we may come back for this too!

Elaine
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

Which event this year? Do you mean Fort Snelling's Civil War Weekend? Home Sweet Home will be a completely different event to what the Fort usually does on their Civil War Weekend.

I do hope you'll put this event on your calendar!

Betsy Connolly
Elaine M
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »

Betsy, Nanci lectured me that I haven't paid sufficient attention - I am coming to the 2015 event!

Elaine
Amorette Bertilson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

Oh, good! I was so sorry to miss the last event in April, and so I hope I can come to this one. I have time, at least. Smiley

I'd love knowing about any other Minnesota events; I suppose I should find how how to... find out about them.

Fibrous, of fibrous undertakings-
http://fibrousthreads.wordpress.com/
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:12:02 AM »

The website and Facebook group are up:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/662165903855585/

Registration will be open in October. Please note that this is an invitational event, and impressions must be pre-approved. There will be no registration on site, you must be registered ahead of time.

Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »

The civilian portion of the website has been updated! There's some information about the event we're recreating, and some information on roles. Standards will be posted soon, but you can expect them to be progressive in keeping with the other "history heavy" events posted here.

Read more here: https://sites.google.com/site/thesheepfarm/civilians

This is shaping up to be a really fun, really meaningful event - perhaps one of the very last of the sesquicentennial cycle. We are in need of a healthy contingent of civilians to welcome home the Second Minnesota, and I hope many of you will make the journey! If you have questions, please contact me.

Betsy Connolly
The Sewing-Bird.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

Already have it on the calendar!  Grin

"The much-celebrated Miss Middleton, lately of Chicago."
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:20 AM »

Registration is now open! The registration form is found on the website, https://sites.google.com/site/thesheepfarm/home. There is no registration fee with this event.

Prior to registering, all civilians need to email me for pre-approval of their impression. Send me a picture of yourself as you will appear that weekend, and the role you would like to portray.

This is going to be such a special event - imagine being inside the Fort, flags waving and the masses cheering, as your friends and family in the Second Minnesota come marching home as heroes. It's going to be a weekend-long party. I hope you'll consider joining us!

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »

We have had a huge response to this event so far! The military companies are filling up already, and we do have a maximum registration cap. There will not be any walk-ons allowed - civilians will need a pass to get into the Fort, and the pass will only be given to those who are registered. If you are still holding out and waiting to register, don't delay, or you may find that registration has been capped!

Word on the street is that this event will have the most reenactors who have been at the Fort at one time. It's going to be an amazing thing to see! On Saturday morning you can stand at the Fort and see the steamboat bring the soldiers up river to drop them off at the Fort, and cheer them as they march through the front gate. There will be great pomp and circumstance, with speeches delivered by reenactors portraying the governor and mayor (our own Mary Warren and Mary Gutzke will be the first ladies of Minnesota and St. Paul, respectively). We'll be putting on a grand reception for the soldiers to welcome them home, and we need civilians to greet the soldiers and take part in the festivities!

Anyone who has questions, please contact me - and do so soon!

Betsy Connolly
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Still trying to work out if I can make it back there.  It'll certainly be warmer than sending off the First all those years ago... Wink

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

Gosh, I hope so. As I was driving across the state today, on another very cold and very windy April day, I was remembering walking across the bluff to the Fort and hoping the wind wouldn't break my cage crinoline. Surely it will be warmer in August!

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »

We've had a massively amazing response to this event - so much so that we hit our registration caps a full four months before the event even begins! Since there is still a huge interest in attending, we have reopened registration; since the initial registration caps were based on the budget for food, we're requiring a minimal registration fee of $10 per civilian for the Saturday evening reception.

We have blocks of hotel rooms at very reasonable prices for those coming out of town. Have I mentioned yet that Fort Snelling and St. Paul are at the junction of several major highways? If you can get to the 90/94 system, Interstate 35, or Highways 61/52, you're a straight shot from here. The Fort is also right next to the airport, and less than ten miles from the Amtrak station, so anyone coming from anywhere by any means can get to the Fort.

Right now, we're looking at a battalion that is very close in size to the original battalion. That means you'll get to watch hundreds of soldiers marching into the Fort, filling the parade grounds for parades and drills. This is something that's never been seen at Fort Snelling before, and likely won't be seen again for a very long time. Don't miss out!

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »

Just want to clarify that registration IS open. There's been some confusion regarding that. We will keep registration open until late July. Theoretically, because civilians are staying offsite and thus sleeping space is not an issue, we have no cap for civilians. Grab your friends and bring them along!

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »

This event is less than two months away! We still have room for civilians, but registration closes on July 31st. If you want to attend, don't delay!

Betsy Connolly
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:13 PM »

Can't wait!

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: