Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flint Hill: Election 1864 Novemeber 7-9, 2014  (Read 6282 times)
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: March 17, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

We are looking for fellow living historians that want to experience life in a Northern village in November 1864. The correct look, language and a willingness to take on a role are required.  Each person will have a role and create a small story of their life up until that time.

The event will be held at the Genesee Country Village & Museum and participants will live in several of the period buildings there. The goal is to actually use the hearths, sleep on the beds, and eat period appropriate local foods. This event is 46 hours of First Person. As a result, participants are required to apply individually for registrations and should plan on spending the whole time on-site.

Along with daily life, the event coincides with the dates of the 1864 election, and so we will be recreating what that election was like for a small town in Western New York. We'll be using data collected on the town of Geneva to re-print newspapers, populate the town, and plan the activities.

All registration requests should be made to Sue Leurgans.

For more information, visit http://flinthillevent.org/

To see the Historic Village and the buildings, visit
www.gcv.org

I hope you will consider attending and taking your First Person impression up to the next level!
Bevin Lynn

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
Spinninglisa
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »

Hi, Bevan,   I'd love to try something like this but can't this year.  Will this be recurring?   If so it's something I could plan around for 2015.
Regards, Miss Lisa (I can dance, honestly...😀)
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »

Lisa,

We'd like to continue to offer this event, but of course, it's highly subject to many different variables, one of which being how well it is attended this year!
So, the answer is, we hope we can offer it in the future, but cannot guarantee that. If we are able to offer it again, it may be run on a bi-annual basis.
Bevin Lynn

Bevin MacRae

www.gcv.org
John Peterson
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »

Just heard about this through Bill McIntosh. Looks like something I would like to attend - hopefully my wife, too. Is the Yahoo Group the only way to get info on this? I find Yahoo Groups to be a bit balky. Thanks.

John Peterson

Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

Hi John, 
I just approved your request for the Yahoo group.  That will mostly be used as people register for the event to form groupings and relationships for the event.  There is the bare bones website that Bevin mentioned above.  I've got to work with my husband to improve that a bit.  There is also a Facebook group  Flint Hill, Election 1864. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »

Just a reminder about the event. We are meeting soon to look at registrations, and if you would like a copy of the registration, please ask.   sleurgans@hotmail.com
Very much looking fwd to this event and hope to see you there.
Thanks
Evie Lawrence.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »

Just a reminder that the low registration fee of $30 will be going up to $40 as of August 16. So get your registration in before August 15 to take advantage of the low rate!

We also cannot have this whole event for the 3 people currently registered. If we don't have enough interest, we may have to postpone it for another time. Many thanks to those already registered-hope to see more!

Please contact Sue at sleurgans@hotmail.com if you would like a form.

Bevin

Bevin MacRae

www.gcv.org
Miss Lydia
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

I'm sending my registration in the mail ASAP tomorrow. I think that I might be able to do a bit of advertising among my younger coworkers - I know a few people whose reenacting attitudes are perfect for the event, if they haven't already registered.
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »

We'd appreciate any word-of-mouth advertising!

Bevin

Bevin MacRae

www.gcv.org
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »

Just a reminder:  Today is the last day to register at the lower rate.  Postmark your registration today.  Smiley

Malinda Byrne
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

Just a reminder that the registration for this event closes September 15 (Monday).   Registration forms can be emailed to Sue (aka Evie)  at sleurgans@hotmail.com to ensure that we have them on time.  Payment would need to be mailed separately. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »

I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU to Chip for sending us some awesome election posters! They were on my desk this morning and I could not be more pleased! How COOL!

Thanks, Chip, for thinking of us even though you can't attend. We'll be thinking of you!
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

www.gcv.org
Michaela Richmond
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! to all of you who made this event possible! This was the first immersion event my sister and I had ever attended and we had a blast! We really appreciate all the hard work and planning that went into the weekend!

-Michaela
AKA Miss Ada Foster

Your humble servant,
Miss Michaela Richmond
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/farmingdaughter/
Blog: http://thefarmingdaughter.com/
anne foster
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »

This was also my first immersion event--and it was lovely. Thank you all for hosting such a fantastic program! And thank you to everyone for the warm welcome to the new comers from the wild west. I feel I have made many fast friends in a short time.

Anne Foster

Living history volunteer, Nevada City, Montana
http://viewvintage.typepad.com/blog/
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 06:23:02 AM »

Thank you to everyone who participated in the event. We're so glad you came and hope you had a great time! Special thanks to event organizers, Malinda, Sue, and Evie who made sure every need was met!
Bevin Lynn

Bevin MacRae

www.gcv.org
Mrs. G.W. Spring
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

Thank to all for such a fabulous event!  Willing to help all I can for next year!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: