Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dressing 14yo and 10yo  (Read 2105 times)
maureenditchman
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I'm thinking about what my boys might wear for the least amount of money. I have time and they may only do this once, if I can convince them to dress.

My ideas are:
- can I use Simplicity 2895 for the shirt and vest http://www.simplicity.com/p-1806-men-costumes.aspx#t-2, making changes to reflect research.
- use light weight wool suiting in a muddy brown for the trousers for PP014 http://www.pastpatterns.com/014.html

I have cotton lawn dress lengths in smaller stripes and plaids that I could use for the shirts or white pima cotton.  I think the vest front would be wool and cotton on the back. I have a green wool suiting, so the pants could be brown and the vest green. It will be summer, so could they use shawls if they are cold? Straw hats. Braces I'm not sure about yet. The 14yo is 6 ft., but the 10yo is still little.

What do you think? Does this all sound ok, so far?

Thank you for your ideas.
maureenditchman
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »

I decided to buy Martha McCain's Simplicity patterns 5023 and 5037 for pants, shirt and vest. Can the vest back be cotton plaid or does it have to be solid?

I also read the thread on men's shirt styles, so that helped.
RachelJ
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »

The vest has to be a solid. Brown and black are the appropriate colors, I believe. I've only used medium-dark brown cotton, but it's supposed to be polished cotton.

Shawls are appropriate for men, so why not boys? If they enjoy themselves and you all decide to keep them in the hobby, you can make up coats to help against chill. For the 14 yr old, I'd get him man's braces. You'll have to search the forum to get the right specs on those. The ten year old should be wearing them in the same style, but I confess to using poor boy suspenders for my eldest son, 9 yrs, for a lack of anything better or justifiably affordable.

Good luck!
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »

The vest has to be a solid. Brown and black are the appropriate colors, I believe. I've only used medium-dark brown cotton, but it's supposed to be polished cotton.

The most commonly found material for men's vest backs is a brown polished linen or "holland".  Polished cotton is used for many repros because holland isn't available.
I've seen so few children's vests that I would hesitate to suggest what was "common", but it occurs to me that children's clothing might have accomodated a lot more variations than men's.  That said - if you want to make a colorful vest why not put the cotton plaid in front and the brown polished cotton in the back?

For the 14 yr old, I'd get him man's braces. You'll have to search the forum to get the right specs on those. The ten year old should be wearing them in the same style, but I confess to using poor boy suspenders for my eldest son, 9 yrs, for a lack of anything better or justifiably affordable.

A good pair of men's braces might cost you $70 or so, and some grown men confess to wearing "poor boys" as well.  It won't be a problem if he keeps his vest on; and if he really enjoys the hobby, braces make nice Christmas presents Smiley.
maureenditchman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »

So.... light weight muddy-brown wool pants can go with cotton or wool plaid vest front with brown polished cotton vest back. I've seen lots of plaid fronts. Can I use Kona cotton for the vest back? Would linen pants be better? I know not to be too matchy on the fabrics.
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »

So.... light weight muddy-brown wool pants can go with cotton or wool plaid vest front with brown polished cotton vest back. I've seen lots of plaid fronts. Can I use Kona cotton for the vest back? Would linen pants be better? I know not to be too matchy on the fabrics.

Polished cotton is closer in appearance to "Holland" than Kona cotton, and isn't much more expensive.

Linen or cotton for the trousers has the great advantage of being washable.  Linen is also much more comfortable in hot weather.

If this is for a summer event, there is nothing wrong with an off-white linen for both the trousers and vest fronts, with off-white cotton vest backs (sateen or good quality muslin).

Hope this helps,

Jim R.
maureenditchman
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »

Yes, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: