Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy's sailor suit  (Read 1484 times)
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »

For the past several years, my wife and I have dressed our three great-nieces and one grand-nephew as 1860's children in order to participate in a local Memorial Day parade.  Since the boy's grandfather actually served in the Navy, we are thinking about a sailor suit this year.  I have "Echoes of Glory" and think I could produce a reasonable facsimile of a miniature uniform from the photos.  However, rather than go that route, I'm wondering how much information is out there on actual period boy's sailor suits?  Does anyone have information or illustrations they could share?

Many thanks,

Jim Ruley
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:17 AM »

Mr Ruley, I'm not sure what all is out there. I'll keep my eyes peeled the next few weeks, and share anything I come across, for sure! I know if you look at British navy, there are some very young sailors, but those are working uniforms, not fashion, so different rules and such.

Regards,
Elizabeth
kaygnagey
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:07:48 AM »

In our collection of period paper patterns we have one pattern for a boy's sailor suit - however, the style is somewhat more like the sailors from a few decades earlier. 

Jim, if you are interested I can trace it for you - email me, please.

I will also look for the image and post it on-line.

KG
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »

The Prince of Wales, circa 1860, in a sailor suit:

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=232486&Section=3060

kaygnagey
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:59 AM »

The Prince of wales was born in 1841, the original version of this image is a painting by Winterhalter, ca 1848, I think.
Definitely not 1860.

KG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: