Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of fashion/historical costume Dictionary  (Read 2724 times)
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »

[Liz, if this is not in the right place, please feel free to move it  Cheesy]

Hi everyone!
I'd be particularly interested in a glossary or dictionary of historical fashion terms - online, or printed! I can't find anything in my local library, and figured if something like this exists, someone here would know of it! I have a book called "the encyclopedia of world costume" which is sort of in the right direction, but too broad. I also have a "textile" dictionary, but this seems to be more of the "textile industry" - don't get me wrong, that's cool too, but not what I want at the moment.
If you want to make me really happy, find me a bilingual dictionary of historical fashion - German/English!
If anyone can point me in the right direction for my search, it's you guys...  Wink
Thanks!
Yours,
Sarah

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
anne foster
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »

How about this: Lewandowski, Elizabeth J. The Complete Costume Dictionary. Lanham, Md: Scarecrow Press, 2011. Print.

I haven't viewed it myself, but it is well represented in college/university libraries--and Scarecrow Press publishes a lot in the museum/archives/history field . . .

Anne Foster

Living history volunteer, Nevada City, Montana
http://viewvintage.typepad.com/blog/
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »

Thank you! I've now put it on hold through ILL  Grin and we'll see if it's what I had in mind.

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: