Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: knit petticoat  (Read 11884 times)
decivilian
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »

I am working up the 1859 Peterson's knit petticoat for an infant (of course the stitch count is wrong, etc. but this stuff I can handle) but also,, of course, there is nary a hint as to how to do the top - casing and elastic?, fabric band with buttons? - so......

any suggestions as to how to do the top of a knit petticoat? A child's Tunisian crochet one I have done had a tightly crocheted band with buttonhole and button, but would an infant's petticoat have elastic or a buttoned band or might it have had a fabric band with buttonholes to button to the infant's undershirt?

Thoughts???

Polly
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »

I think you could go either way, actually; I've not examined an original infant's knit petticoat, only wool, and the wool ones had a non-wool band. Just for stability, I'd look at either whipping the knit edge onto a band, or enclosing it in the band edge. The wiggling of little people can wriggle them right out of the double shot of elastic (naturally flexing knit fabric plus elastic band).

Regards,
Elizabeth
decivilian
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »

Thanks, Liz. I was tending  towards a fabric band - the etching in Pete's looks more fabricish than knittish.   
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »

Polly-
  I would make a wide cotton band with some overlap room. The wide band acts as a kind of binder and goes over the first shirt. The most common practice was to pin in place, but ties can be used and wrap around.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=150463

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=32977

Also- I find references to pleating the wool skirt into the band.

Hope that helps- Stephanie
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:49:15 PM by Stephanie Brennan » Logged
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »

Stephanie, the Wisconsin Historical Society doesn't do links to specific items. Are the baby petticoats in the intended links woven wool or knit wool? I completely agree that the binder-styled band is very common on the woven wool petticoats; I'm curious if we're looking at the same arrangement with a knit wool petticoat for a baby (I suspect it's reasonable, personally!)

Regards,
Elizabeth
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:45 AM »

?? The links work for me.

The ones I posted are wool fabric pettis with attached bands. Listed  below are a couple  wool knitted pettis for older girls. One of them has a pleated band, which I find interesting since many wool fabric pettis are pleated into the band but not cotton pettis.
The difference in the knitted petti's is that the top is shaped to the waist, so the pleats must come from the knit design? ? ?? ( sorry I'm a knit dummy)

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=39816

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=29764

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=39816

decivilian
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »

The links aren't working for me,either Cry

Could you copy and post the pics? I would love to see an original knitted petticoat!

The etching from Pete's shows what looks like a pretty wide and probably fabric band. I think I'll try that.

FYI - for knit and crochet petticoats, you can take out the top fullness by decreasing stitches in the last row(s). By calculating the gauge and knowing the final dimensions I want, I can figure out how many stitches to decrease and get an exact final circumference for anything - petticoats, undersleeves, etc.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »

Stephanie, they work for you because they're pulling up from your cache. Unfortunately, WHS makes it kind of tough to search by item ID (which is in the visible link)... I've yet to find a way to do that.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »

Thank you-

I can't copy and paste
So lets try this
Take the above link to the main site-
!) click on: The Children's collection
2) click on: Children's collection by type
3) click on: Children's underwear
4) click on: All Children's underwear

Scroll through the list -

For the wool cloth infant pettis look for : Slip-baby's yellow flannel
There will be several  with wrap around strings, bodice, or plain wide band

click on the link beside the pic
when the item comes up click on the picture for a enlarged view

For the knitted/crocheted pettis look for

petticoat girl off white- wool knitted and crocheted pink zigzag stripes 1880-1910  This example is on a cotton band with 5 buttonholes for a young girl

petticoat girl's yellow wool crocheted , multicolored zig-zag stripes 1885-1890

petticoat, girl's yellow wool, knit , multi-colored dark zigzags 1830-1869
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

Great minds... I took the same path. Smiley Thanks for providing the chain. It's a fantastic resource, but just not terribly search-and-share-friendly!

Regards,
Elizabeth
decivilian
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

Thanks!

The etching of the petticoat in Pete's sure looks more like a belly band than the casings in the girls' petticoats. Fabric band it will be!

I just wish rather than saying "long" petticoat they would give the actual dimensions.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »

Ah, but then they couldn't have also used the phrase, "Finish in the usual manner"! Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
decivilian
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »

Ah, but then they couldn't have also used the phrase, "Finish in the usual manner"! Smiley

Shoot, the directions don't even say that!! No mention whatsoever about the top of the petti!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: