Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: girls' outerwear from women's patterns?  (Read 1162 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

i have devere on a disk and there are patterns for a ladies paletot and a loose paletot or sleeved cloaks.

can i size these for my girls?  i'm thinking the loose paletot/sleeved cloak seems like the best bet.  it's similar to a paletot in shape, but loose from top to bottom with coat sleeves.

"lengths and widths at bottom to Fashion"  so whereabouts should they be?  i think i can figure the length, but how round should the bottom be?

can i do embroidery on the sleeves?

~ Jennifer
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:03:55 AM »

Yes, you absolutely can scale them down to suit; many little girl winter outerwear pieces are just small copies of Mama's shapes. Coats don't need to go down much past mid-thigh in most cases. They'll need to be full enough to lay very easily over all skirts and skirt supports.

Embroidery on the sleeves is a more difficult question to answer; some garments do have it, but it's generally really well-worked and complex and decorative, which means that replicating it leaves the poor girl cold until she's working on children of her own. Smiley Repeated and echoed patterns of braidwork can be a *slightly* faster way to get a decorative effect.

The nice thing about trims is you can always add them later; I'd focus on getting a good shape in good wool now, and let the fabric and style speak for itself, and then consider adding decorative elements when you've had a chance to look at a load of originals with such elements, and choose the specific styles and techniques that draw your fancy.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

thank you Smiley.  i'm going to do with the less fitted one, i think it'll fit longer, making the sleeves a bit long with a functional cuff that can be adjusted later.

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: