Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a few more questions... colors and a shirt pattern  (Read 1390 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »

these should be my last questions for a bit, lol.

i have a dark tan and an olive green wool for my boys.

i don't know if they should have the same color trowsers and vest or each in the opposite color or a set in opposite colors?  my oldest has the dark tan for his trowsers.  they'll both have a nice small plaid/check for a jacket.  and i'm going to make overshirts for them, probably in red wool flannel, just so they have some color lol!

and my shirt questions, can i use the 'pattern' from the workwoman's guide?  i know it's from the 1830's-ish and we do 1860's.

if not, can anyone recommend a shirt pattern for boys?  they're 11 and 7.

thanks!
jennifer

~ Jennifer
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »

aaaaaaaaaanyone?

~ Jennifer
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »

I'm not sure on the red outer coats, honestly; it's a color that shows up for girls and women, but I'm not recalling examples or notes for boys of school ages (color in caps and scarves and gloves, though, is something I've seen in painted images and a few notes, though I don't have specific collections to point you toward right this second.)

Shirt-wise, the cut-on-squares style will be older-fashioned, but still in the reasonable range for a very working class family, though a more forward, shaped shirt would also be peachy. There are drafts for schoolboy shirts in some period tailoring manuals. Kay Gnagey is in the process of bringing out an older boy's pattern that would include these sizes, but it's not back from printing just yet. The 11yo, depending on his size, might be able to do well in a small men's size (11yo range so very much in sizing! My current 14yo was in a men's small at 11, but his friend wore a youth size for a few more years!)

Regards,
Elizabeth
RachelJ
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

Personally, I would make the pants and vest match for each boy.

Shirts changed in the 30 years since TWWG.  Not sure if it's a shirt on the square recommended in that or not, but let's assume it is the shirt on a square. If you look that up in this forum, you'll see quite knowledgeable and reputable people with differing opinions. If you are middle or upper class, or in the north, you would probably be buying your son's shirts, which means they would be up-to-date, fashion-wise, and shaped, not square, and most likely pleated in front. Otherwise, you can probably get away with shirts on the square for a little while. Instructions are in the forum, I believe. If you want to go straight for the good stuff, get a pattern. KayFig has a pattern for boys, but I'm not sure the age range. What I had to do, since it was before there were any patterns, was get a man's shirt pattern and size it down to fit my sons, so that's a possibility if you already have a man's shirt pattern.

Good luck!
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »

My favorite CDV of a gentleman shows him wearing a plaid jacket, plaid vest, and plaid trousers -- all in different plaids.  But that was a rarity.  And although such an outfit is my dream, my wife is glad that I have three suits of "dittos", i.e., jacket, vest, and trousers all are made of the same fabric.  For variety I vary the vests.

Michael Mescher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: