Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is this type of hat PC?  (Read 1437 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

forgot to add that we do 60's.  usually right around 1863-64.

~ Jennifer
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »

The general style of hat is correct. There are some construction challenges with that particular example.

If you are in the market, Originals By Kay has a few examples. One of the ladies posted a pattern and instructions on her blog, but I've forgotten who it was. Several folks on here do custom work, especially if size is an issue.

Good luck.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »

A few of the elements that strike me as non-PC in this example are the exposed ragged seams in portions of the cap, and the turn-and-sewn bulk of the brim (pressing around a brim, with felled on facings, is a low-bulk option.)

Regards,
Elizabeth
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

A few of the elements that strike me as non-PC in this example are the exposed ragged seams in portions of the cap, and the turn-and-sewn bulk of the brim (pressing around a brim, with felled on facings, is a low-bulk option.)

could you please explain this with more detail?  i'm attempting to make one, lol.  i'm already doing the top/disc with the seam inside... i fudged my way through the brim, but i'll redo it if need be.

mine is a layer of wool, with a layer of canvas inside {left over from my corset}... the top edge is turned over/stitched and then another piece of wool is on the other side and whip stitched-ish.

i know it's not quite symmetrical, lol, it works for me though.

under

~ Jennifer
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

Yes, that's the basic premise of the faced construction. I'm not sure if a cap would have fashion fabric on the brim facing or not, personally.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »

Yes, that's the basic premise of the faced construction. I'm not sure if a cap would have fashion fabric on the brim facing or not, personally.

i thought about using a scrap from my dress, i may redo it.

thank you Smiley.

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: