Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Side-lacing boots for children  (Read 2253 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: November 01, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

Asking for a friend - does anyone have any evidence of side-lacing boots for children?

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Donna Rowan
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

Hard to tell if these button with white buttons or if there laced and were seeing her socks I think they lace http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143130094379526680/ also in some museum I saw a pair if little little kids,toddler size,inside lacers med blue cloth uppers and dark navy/or/ faded black leather bottoms.
Sarah W
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

1860's? This is slightly earlier, but there's an example in the Met dated to 1840-59, if that is any help.

http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/104089?rpp=60&pg=1&ao=on&ft=shoes&when=A.D.+1800-1900&pos=33
Mrs Keturah Pestel
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

I'm the friend (who just got her account reactivated after years off to get an MBA and have two children).  At any rate, I have seen some pics of side lacing boots on Pinterest, so I can tell they existed.  What I'm trying to figure out is the best type of boot to recreate for my kids.  We are currently living in Peru, and it's an awful lot like the 1860s, where materials are expensive but labor is cheap.  For example, hiring an empleada (a maid of all work) costs about $1.50 to $2 per hour). 

There are several shoe makers here, so I can have them look at pictures and create boots.  My girls will be 3.5 and 7 when we come back home, and I want to know if side lacing leather boots are ok or if something else is better (my older daughter was drooling over red boots with black toecaps).

While the shoemakers here will be able to make shoes, anything I can do to make it easier to be period is good (e.g. I obviously know no speedlacers, but I thought that perhaps the side lacing boots are easier than gaiter style with buttons, and I am not an expert on metal rivets in boots or not.)  Also, the high ankle strap Mary Janes would be fine for my younger daughter, but don't know about the closure. 

I've been reviewing CDVs, but it's hard to blow them up and get any kind of detail on the boots and the amount of pictures of originals seems quite sparse.

Our impression is upper middle class in Minnesota.  We don't do camping events, the boots would be worn at historical sites and inside modern buildings for the most part.  There might be a little walking outside but not in dirty or muddy conditions.  Our persona is that my husband is a land agent and we are currently land rich/cash poor, having purchased lots of land in MN after the panic in 1857.  But when we come back and I have more time for sewing and getting our things together, we'll probably up that to being a little more cash rich.

So, basically....if you had access to an experience shoemaker and could get childrens' leather boots made for $30-40 per pair or maybe even less, what would you have them make?

Thank you,

Keturah Pestel
Living History Society of Minnesota
Sarah W
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:34:26 AM »

I'd want side laced boots, simply because they are so typical of the time, and won't look close to anything modern I've ever seen. Mind, that wish says nothing about what was most common amongst children, just what I'd prefer personally Smiley
Mrs Keturah Pestel
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:27:43 AM »

I have seen a few examples of children's side lacers, and I'm thinking they are probably pretty under-represented in the hobby just because they are so hard to get!  So I think I will go with that.  Thanks, all, and if you have other examples I would love to see them.  You can send them to me on Pinterest (username is polkstina there). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: