Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what would i put my boys in....  (Read 1761 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: October 22, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

that'd be relatively inexpensive, and I wouldn't have to make much and go with what my girls are wearing?

my boys are 7 and almost 11 {his birthday is a few days after our event, lol}.

I was hoping to piece together something for them with thrift store finds, but I'm not sure what their pants were made out of... plaids, solids, cotton, wool?  could we do a modern button up, or are boys shirts pretty easy to make?  I have white and an off-white/cream-ish, fabric I could use.

what about outerwear?  did boys wear shawls? lol.

thanks!

~ Jennifer
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »

In case you haven't seen it, here's Mrs. Clark's article on dressing boys: http://www.thesewingacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2010Boys.pdf

Marta Vincent
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

The 7 yr old can wear standard long trousers or knickerbockers.  His brother standard long trousers.  Both shouls have vests and jackets all looking very much like dad's, although the younger's jacket could still be a Garabaldi style for another year or so.
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »

Even though thrift store finds are tempting due to cost, the cut of period garments is different from modern ones.  And modern thrift store trousers would have zippers, a device that didn't come around until about 30 to 40 years later, and possibly belt loops which would need to be removed.

It is my understanding that modern button up shirts would be inappropriate and a three button placket front shirt would be better.  And the buttons on a modern shirt would be plastic and would need replacing with period buttons, possible requiring modifying the buttonholes.  Boys shirts aren't difficult to make since they don't need to be form fitted.

Michael Mescher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: