Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stockings and Shoes  (Read 1932 times)
John Wickett
Developing Scribbler

« on: October 04, 2013, 03:48:51 AM »

Hello!

I am looking for stockings and shoes for my gal and will need them in about a week's time.  Any ideas?

I found these stockings and was wondering if they would be good:
http://shop.originals-by-kay.com/product.sc?productId=995&categoryId=105

Thank you all for your help!

John Wickett
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »

Those should be just fine, but since time is tight, hit a local department store for girl's knee-high stockings (what these appear to be), in cotton with the same 4% lycra or nylon.

Shoes-wise: until she gets into women's shoe sizes (about a 4 "big girls" is a 5 women's, but it gets easier when she's in a 7 womens!), accurate shoes or boots will be hard to find. In general, look for a (preferably leather) black or brown boot with a low stacked heel, minimal sole, and no padded ankles, or a "Mary Jane" style or "ballet flat" style dress shoe, again with minimal sole and a low stacked heel if there is a heel. These tend to be plausible, at least, and unobtrusive with an otherwise excellent material impression. Sometimes thrift stores have some good options, or post her shoe size and see if hand-me-downs are possible. Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Marta Vincent
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

Liz is corect.  The ones I sell on OBK are girl's knee highs.  May be easy enough to find retail at this time of yeards, with school just started & cool weather coming on. 
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »

If you're having a hard time finding knee-highs, check your local school uniform supplier.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

In general, with stockings, I find that the 4% nylon or lycra content often added to wool or cotton fibers for the stockings don't materially compromise the positive qualities of either fiber, nor do they compromise the overall finished look, so don't get too stressed out about that 4% Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
John Wickett
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »

What color? 
I am assuming off-white or natural white.
Thanks, again!!

John Wickett
Marta Vincent
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »

White, colors & stripes for kids.  Black is not as correct for cotton, but for wool it is fine.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »

Ditto... even today, black wool is pretty great, but black cotton leaves grimy grey legs and feet! Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: