Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Clothing for 1840's 2-year Old  (Read 1918 times)
Sarah W
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »

In December I might participate in a sewing demo, and I'm welcome to bring my son who will turn two the week after. The event in which the demo is part of celebrates a 19th century cathedral dean, his family, and the town, which also has a university. To sum it up, the event focuses much on the middle class, so his clothes will have to reflect that.

I'm only just venturing into 19th century children's clothing, so I'm a bit at a loss... He'll need a shift, petticoat and dress, obviously, but I'm not quite sure what the dress should look like. It has to be warm, so likely wool, rather high necked and long sleeved (this is Swedish winter we're talking about so it will be cold), but what bodice and sleeve style is appropriate? How long should the skirt be?

Should he have visible or hidden white cotton drawers, or could he have visible pantalettes in the same fabric as the dress? Should stockings be white or any other colour?

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

I'd go with wool, a high neckline, a slim sleeve, waist just a smidge below natural waist (some of the 40s stuff is long), bodice without gathering or pleats; skirt pleated on, and about mid-calf. Wool stockings, drawers to about mid-calf, too, or slightly longer. Add additional warm layers as needed. Stockings could be any wool color, or potentially stripey. Keep him warm!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sarah W
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »

Thank you! Sounds easy and straightforward enough Cheesy The event will be held indoors, and period clothing, though encouraged, is not demanded. It's only the second year this event is hosted, so it still has some children's diseases as it where. I'll finish his dress and undies first, and if there's time (I too need a dress) I'll make outerwear so he can arrive and leave in style as well.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »

You can also just take an extra shawl and bundle him up nicely for the car-to-venue trudge. Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sarah W
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »

That's an idea Smiley

I have a few questions about construction (I plan to draft the pattern myself, I usually do):

Should
- the shoulders be dropped as in women's dresses?
- the shoulder seams be pushed toward the back?
- the back have shaped seams or be cut in one? Similar question about the front.
- it close (in the back) by hooks and eyes/bars?
- the skirt be simply hemmed, or faced?

Could the sleeves
- be cut on the bias (I hope to find a suitable check or plaid)
- have short oversleeves, or trim to imitate that, or would it be too girly?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »

Very little boy's things tend to be of the more unisex, made-at-home-by-mother nature, and as such, do tend to follow women's dressmaking features, rather than tailoring features. Specifically for the 40s:

Yes, drop the shoulders some, but they need not be extreme.

Yes, drop the shoulder seam to the back of the arm.

The back can be pieced if you need it for fabric conservation, but often, 40s frocks for little ones are cut with one-piece fronts, and two backs, very little shaping at all; it's a rather tubular time for the bitty ones, unless it's a shirred style.

Closure can be hooks and eyes, or hooks and thread bars, or buttonholes.

Skirt is generally hemmed, not faced, unless you want to do a crinoline (true horsehair canvas) hem facing for body.

Sleeve can absolutely be cut on the bias, as can the entire frock, and can have the sleeve cap as well. At 3, things are still quite unisex.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sarah W
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »

Thank you again, that is very helpful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: