Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Genteel Arts Academy & Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference  (Read 8353 times)
Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »

I'm getting ready to sign up for the conference in March and I was wondering if everyone wears 19th cent clothes or modern civvies for the sessions. I noticed the sociable and ball specifically mention 19th cent clothes are suggested. Thanks! trish B.
 P.S. if there are sign-ups for program C , regarding craft beers, Grin my husband is interested. He won't want to sit in sessions all day.
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »

Hi, Trish -

Modern clothing for all daytime and Friday evening activities.

Thursday evening reception and sociable - Wrappers and dressing gowns are encouraged but not required. Modern clothing, including pajamas and slippers are also acceptable. About half the participants will be in period attire. It's a casual, fun evening in casual, fun clothing.

Saturday evening - Your best period clothing is requested, but not required. Some of our participants fly to the Conference and don't want to pack their period clothing or pay luggage fees. Some of our participants don't have a period wardrobe. About 20% of the attendees will be in modern clothing. "Period" can be any period; it does not have to be mid-19th century.  You can dine and dance no matter what you're wearing.  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing you in March!

Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »

First after-action report?  I had a fabulous time.  I only wish it were a week long so that I could meet everyone.

Particularly fabulous presentations by our own Liz and by Susan Lyons Hughes.  I had never heard Liz speak before and I'm happy to say that her stellar reputation is not an exaggeration.  I had heard Susan's presentation once before, years ago -- still provocative, provided lots to think about.

Over all -- the conference runs on time, the meals are good, the presentations interesting and well-researched.  Carolann and her staff/volunteers do a great job at meeting the needs of a couple of hundred participants, all with different interests and tastes. 

K Krewer
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »

1. Ditto K and a compliment to her on the placards included with her display pieces.

This year I managed to read them BEFORE I started taking pics of the dress and was able to capture some neat details she noted in the description.

And if it's not K who does this tell me who so I can pass on the thank you.

2. The addition of Brian Merric to the vendors is appreciated. He's doing beautiful work and I sprang for a pair of ox-blood red leather cuffs. I fully intend to wear them with modern clothing. the quality of his traveling bags and valises is right up there and equally make the transition to modern use. (this is how I justify significant purchase costs)

3. Great to meet Marie P and her sister. Had a blast at dinner.

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
darlinedemott
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

I'll ditto that ditto and add that I also had a wonderful time.  I learned so much and was delighted that Liz was able to attend and speak.  The "conference fabric" feature is so fun for me, to see how each person interprets the fabric, very very interesting.  Love, love, loved everything about the conference.  Thank you, Carolann and your team!  PS.  I again found LOTS to purchase at the marketplace  Grin  SO MUCH FUN!
Deb Kessler
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

As always, the conference is over in a blink of the eye. It is my absolute joy to be able to attend- the highlight of the CW calendar for me.

Thanks to Carolann for coordinating such a complex event. The mere thought of trying to organize something of that magnitude makes my head spin. As always, I leave with lots of new ideas - new items to create or research.

The Saturday evening dinner and ball were fabulous. The lectures all fantastic.

Looking forward to the coming year and seeing everyone again, next March in Harrisburg.

Deb Kessler
Victoria Pann
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

Loved being able to attend along with several others from the far west.  It was great meeting new friends and attending the well executed conference, where the information comes pouring out of the presenters.  Thank you for the notebook of information and the CD.  I loved handling and photographing the 36 original bonnets, a dream come true.  Thanks, Janine, for bringing your collection.  The originals were thrilling.  Thank you Carolann and Genteel Arts Academy!  I appreciate all your hard work helping the rest of us grow.

Victoria Pann
Fort Nisqually Historical Interpreter
Washington State
http://victoriapann.blogspot.com
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »

I think my jet-lag lagged right on top of me all week... Smiley

My own AAR: SPLENDID with multiple exclamation points pretty much sums it up!

The physical details that go into a large Conference like this one are prodigious, and it was honestly just smooth and seamless. It took me under 2 minutes to register and pick up my packets/notebook, all my pre-session classes were smooth as butter. Extensive handouts are a big thing in my book, and getting to take home the resource lists from the different speakers and workshops was a huge help for future learning.

I was fortunate to get to help out a bit (in company with two other PacNWesters) in Carolann's pre-session workshop on bonnet veils, and that experience tells me a lot about how the whole Conference process runs so smoothly... to see the easy system in place that allows everyone many textile choices *with* first-hand examination, and *without* chaos and long waits? Fantastic.

I heard similar excellent feedback from those who took other pre-session workshops, too.

Irony: the opposite of wrinkly. And thanks to Maggie and Brian Koenig, I was irony. Even starchy!

Thursday's Sociable: I was able to work on my wrapper during the afternoon, and got to dress up for the Thursday sociable; thoroughly delightful to see so many comfortably dressed folks, and the talents on display were a treat! Our own Bevin brought along a tidy contingent from the Village, as well as her own musical skills... even operating on less than 3 hours of sleep in the previous 36 hours, my attention was captured by the performances. And I got to hear Colleen Formby sing! In person! It was cool.

My ankle prevented me actually dancing during my dance workshop, but the quality of instruction was such that I felt entirely refreshed on the mechanics of the dance to have a fantastic time in a waltz with the Very Tall (and very elegant!) Michael Mescher. Another first-hand thing to note: my dress is a LONG 40s style; even when I add the corded petticoats that belong under it, and a nice hip-length frill of crinoline, it will still be one of the longer 40s styles--it fully touches the ground in front, and trails a bit in back, and will do even with more skirt support. *However*--a vigorous waltz was more than possible, and I had zero need of holding any portion of my skirts up. Good posture, and eye-contact with one's partner, and NO slouching or looking at the ground meant that a longer dress was not a hindrance in any way. And that's *without* a hoop!

I do get the award for officially finishing my Conference dress LAST... for the presentations, I was accurately PINNED into the bodice, and needed to reset my sleeves in quite a desperate fashion (grateful thanks to Carolann for the kind loan of a gorgeous shawl, which hid the armscye issues brilliantly, and let me revel in the shirred 40s fanfront instead.) Let this be a lesson to us all: Never Not Test Your New Sleeve Shape. Smiley Loved the fit in the wrist. T-Rex arms proved and proved again. Smiley But I also reinforced my own belief in the utility of handwork. Because the sleeves were handsewn in, removing them and re-setting them was the work of an hour, with zero uncharitable thought or speech!

So, after the Conference Dress Presentation (in which I thoroughly unsettled Mr Hughes with talk of my Artificial Rump, poor man!), I slipped *back* into my wrapper, and enjoyed our own K Krewer's presentation on accessories while I added the hooks and eyes, and re-set my sleeves on the Conference dress, basted in my neck and wrist frills, and donned the whole thing again for the rest of the day, and dancing that night.

Merchants: excellent mix, and good bargains to be had. The fact that each merchant and their wares are juried and vetted was lovely; it made shopping a breeze! Dittos on Brian Merrick's leather stuff. HOLY CROW it's gorgeous. There was quite literally something for everyone in the marketplace, including chocolate, ribbons, jewelry, BOOKS, and a myriad of souvenirs to choose among.

I picked up a whole new set of bones and the first new busk I've purchased in FIFTEEN years, plus coutil, and the newly-shaped Non-Frankensteined Corset that had its debut at Conference will be cut in the good fabric and done up with new hardware entirely... I'm set for another 15 years. Smiley

The Meschers had Emily's whole collection on display, too, so that combined with the original dolls on display, and the competition dolls? Well, I was a bit in dolly heaven. Smiley

Fan-Girl Moments: I had 'em. There was some squeeing. There may or may not have been a bit of hand-fanning myself, and there was certainly a goodly amount of "OH MY GOSH HOW COOL TO MEET YOU" going on... I immediately lose all my grown-up decorum when I get to meet people I've known on-line for years, so I said "OH MY GOSH" quite a lot, I'm afraid. Just consider me a very eager Labrador puppy when it comes to such things. YOU GUYS, I GOT TO MEET SUSAN HUGHES IN PERSON. Just... awesome. She's so lovely!! I've been a fan-girl of hers since... gosh. Forever. Since I got into the hobby and saw my first issue of The Citizen's Companion.

Also, as so many Sewing Academy members found out: I'm a hugger. BIG hugger. Sorry if I invaded anyone's bubble--it was such a treat to meet digital friends!

I do find it highly interesting how very many digital friends become real-life extended family... For a hermit like me to be out and about for five whole days, and enjoy every second of it? That takes the support of that extended family, and I'm highly grateful for every one of you!!

Synergy & Convergence: I'll not say a word until further details are officially released, BUT: in the very near future, two separate, but definitely "from delightfully similar founts and desires" projects are going to show up, and the benefits to the history-based living history community can only be described as STELLAR. So. There's that. Now you all get to join me in anticipation of great delights. Smiley

Presentations: Huge props to Carolann's husband Don, who runs the functionally smoothest AV set-up I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.

One thing I love about conferences is that individual speakers tend to be pretty passionate about their topics, which means that even if it's a topic that wouldn't necessarily spark me offhand, their own passion makes the topic very interesting to me, very quickly! I love seeing the variety of passions others bring to living history, and I came away feeling like I've learned a lot, and have a broader context to use in approaching my own pet topics in the future. I had a great time sharing a few of my favorite topics, and definitely feel inspired to keep on with my own research, and sharing it. That kind of energy and support is amazing, and a HUGE part of why these gatherings are so helpful.

Hotel was comfortable, staff was *fantastic*--I don't know that I've seen such well-organized convention center staff! Good food, plenty of it, prompt everything. The snacks brought out for breaks were well-planned, too... hot pretzels on Saturday afternoon? Yes, please! Never-ending water (IN GLASSES--I am inordinately fond of both water, and glasses), great coffee, well-stocked meal buffets, loads of options to suit my own preferences... really well done details. My room's AC was designed for people who get a lot colder than I do, but the front desk was able to send someone up to turn off the heat, and once things cooled down to about 60, I was set for the whole stay. (Gosh--I hope they turned it back ON... most people are not so polar as me!)

So, ummm.... I think my overall after-action report is generally positive. Just a little.

Cheesy

Regards,
Elizabeth
Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 05:57:27 AM »

Please - there must be some photos to be posted.  I think there are a few of us who are anxiously waiting.

Muriel Carbiener
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEF-Q_a3lU&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

The 17 minute Grand March.

BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »

GAH!!!!  17 MINUTES OF EYE CANDY!!!!!  I DON'T THINK I CAN TAKE MUCH MORE!!!!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Seriously!  Some of the most beautiful dresses, and it's funny that I've not yet been able to attend one of these, but I saw some familiar faces.  I love you guys. Cheesy Cheesy

WHO has the absolutely positively AMAZING bronze ball dress with sapphire ribbons??!?!  STUNNING!  IF someone from this board made it, PLEASE post on the brag thread.  And her hair was amazing too.'

Thanks for posting!  So much!

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

Wow.  That just made up my mind for me: to attend the next conference at all costs.  Those gowns are truly inspiring!

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »

I loved watching the Grand March.  Thank you.  Now I would love it if someone would post a picture of the presenters in their conference clothing, and maybe some photos of the historic items on display.  Please......

Muriel
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »

I wound up creating this account on the fly while at Conference and have not had the opportunity to move them to my regular storage site. 

Be forewarned, the other person I have shared these with said she had to create her own account in order to view them (which is NOT right or fair). So if you are okay with that or already have your own account go for it.

I think they are in chronological order by day. My speaker clothing shots are junk, waiting on a better set from a different photographer.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7015117022/a=7037129022_7037129022/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7017501022/a=7037129022_7037129022/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7023193022/a=7037129022_7037129022/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »

I'm afraid I can't get these photos.  Sad

Muriel
Audrey Trussell
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 05:14:17 AM »

Ms. Watkins-Morris,

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures, your photographic skills show what an astute researcher you are, and by your willingness to share your talents are what this forum is all about.  Thank you again.
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »

Muriel,
I will try to get them over to a public album this week and PM you when I get it done.

Ms. Trussell,

Thank you. You will find that you quite literally stand on your head or squish into the weirdest of places to get photos of stuff. 

The best part about conference? No one looks askance at your contortions and most folks will grab your belt loop if they see you leaning too far over!

Liz W.

Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:43 PM »

Dear folks-
    During conference I lost my bodkin, a very favorite sewing tool. It is about 3 inches in length, brass, and looks like a darning needle with a small brass ball on the end. Please if you happen to find such a item contact me here.
                                                                                                         Thanks-- Stephanie

MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »

The Grand March was marvelous!

Looking forward to seeing Liz' photos if she can get them on a public site. 
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »

https://plus.google.com/photos/112111070777969727173/albums/5996661855447351937
https://plus.google.com/photos/112111070777969727173/albums/5996591829863345009

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: