Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Genteel Arts Academy & Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference  (Read 7325 times)
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: August 26, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »

Genteel Arts is pleased to announce registration is now open for 2014 classes conducted by the Genteel Arts Academy, and for the 20th Anniversary Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference.

The Conference will be held March 6-9, 2014 in Camp Hill (Harrisburg), PA. We have planned a full schedule of presentations and pre-conference workshops and tours of interest to women and men. The Conference also features extensive displays of original garments, a needlework competition a juried Marketplace, a sociable and a formal ball.  Come help us celebrate our 20th Anniversary!

Complete details for classes and the Conference, including flyers and registration forms, are available on our web site at www.genteelarts.com

Hope to see many of you next year!
Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Spinninglisa
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »

Hi, Carolann!
I am working on persuading DH that we ought to come to Harrisburg again as just one brewpub while waiting for the train to New York wasn't enough...lol
I'm looking at the finances, hope I can make it (will there be anyone he can chat to about craft beer and trains while we are sewing and dancing???)
Hoping very much to see you there, regards, Miss Lisa
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

Lisa -

There are several other train enthusiasts who come to the Conference. And I'm fairly confident we have several interested in craft breers. 

Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Spinninglisa
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

Wink

regards,
Miss Lisa
Audrey Trussell
Developing Scribbler

Mrs. Trussell

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »

Miss Lisa,

My husband is a craft beer enthusiast and would love to show your husband some of the local craft breweries.  Although, they may need a DD, which can be provided.  In fact, he is currently brewing some amber lager.

Carolann,

As previously communicated, I am so looking forward to this conference.

All for the Union
Spinninglisa
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »

We have talked about it and as he spent ten days going round the pelopponese (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong) this year on a diesel train we decided that it was entirely reasonable for me to do this by myself next year!
So my first solo foreign trip is coming up.
How do I arrange to share a room at the hotel??? I.e., do I have to name someone to share with? Anyone mind sharing with a slightly mad fifty-year old Englishwoman? X
I'll send the forms in after payday....!!!
We looked at flights and I can get straight to Harrisburg on Wednesday, no trains required (tho I'm sure I can slip one in somewhere!). X
regards,
Miss Lisa
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:53:58 PM by Miss Lisa » Logged
Spinninglisa
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »

I can give some of it a home if you bring some with you, lol!
Miss Lisa
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »

Oh dear!  Six  workshops I want to take and only 4 spots!   

AAAAAAH!   what to do, what to do.   Smiley

Lovely topics!

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

We have talked about it and as he spent ten days going round the pelopponese (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong) this year on a diesel train we decided that it was entirely reasonable for me to do this by myself next year!
So my first solo foreign trip is coming up.
How do I arrange to share a room at the hotel??? I.e., do I have to name someone to share with? Anyone mind sharing with a slightly mad fifty-year old Englishwoman? X
I'll send the forms in after payday....!!!
We looked at flights and I can get straight to Harrisburg on Wednesday, no trains required (tho I'm sure I can slip one in somewhere!). X
regards,
Miss Lisa

Miss Lisa,

If you're on Facebook, you can post a request for a roommate on the Genteel Arts Facebook page.  I'll also keep your request in mind; there is always someone looking for a roommate.  Smiley  If you want to make a hotel reservation now, make it in your name; you can add your roommate's name(s) at a later date.

I'm looking forward to meeting you!
Carolann

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Spinninglisa
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »

Thank you very much.
Miss Lisa
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »

Goody Goody! Lot's of 50's applicable topics. Now off to apply for grant funding so that a bunch of us from work can go!
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

Bevin, if you're there, I'll finally get to meet you in person! I'm very much looking forward to being there. Wink

Regards,
Elizabeth
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

Trying to be! We're in the process of applying for a grant to get a bunch of us there!
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

I really wish I could come, but I'm saving up to fly back for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Cedar Creek next October.  In addition to visiting my son (in the 6th Ohio Cavalry, who has pretty well recovered from his injuries from getting bucked off his horse last June but is currently looking for a gentler horse!), I'm hoping to do some serious leaf peeping on the Blue Ridge!

Fortunately, several of the scheduled classes were presented out here in Oregon City last July, and I was privileged to attend them!  Any time the Academy wants to return to the West Coast, I'm ready and waiting!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:59:48 PM by MaryDee » Logged
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »

The jury has reached a decision! We are pleased to announce the following merchants are scheduled to appear in the Conference Marketplace:

Caravan of Kashmir - Cashmere shawls imported from Kashmir.
 Civil War and More - Wide selection of books on a variety of mid-19th century topics.
 Corner Clothiers - Clothing and accessories for men and women.
 Genteel Arts - Antique buttons and laces, books, patterns for period accessories, and miscellaneous items. Featuring publications and patterns by Elizabeth Stewart Clark.
 Half Moon Handwerks - Yarns, threads, books, tools and notions for period needlework, including bobbin lace, tatting, knitting, crochet and other embellishments.
 James Country Mercantile - Books, Homespun Patterns, general merchandise for men and women.
 James River Emporium - :arge selection of original jewelry, clothing, millinery, textiles, trimmings, cdvs, and other fine antiques.
 Lucy's Hairwork - Reproduction hair jewelry and accessories.
 Mac's Sutlery - A wide variety of antique items including accessories for men and women, household items, textiles and ephemera.
 Merrick's Custom Leather - Museum quality reproductions of mid-19th century leather work. New accessories for women will debut at the Conference.
 Miller's Millinery - Ready to wear bonnets, caps, headdresses, ornaments, smoking caps, night caps, headwear for gentlemen, patterns, decorations and other millinery items.
 Needle & Thread - Wide selection of fabrics and trimmings for the mid-19th century tailor and dressmaker.
 Ragged Soldier Sutlery - Mid-19th century tools and games; publications from Virginia's Verandah.
 S&S Sutlery - Clothing, accessories, notions, findings, knitted items, yarns and a variety of other merchandise for men and women.
 Second Mourning - Fine reproduction gutta percha jewelry for men and women.
 The Carpetbagger - Reproduction carpet bags and valises.
 The Dressmaker's Shop - Accessories for men and women, fabrics, trimmings, millinery, jewelry and a variety of other items.
 The Lady in White - Ladies' undergarments and accessories.
 The Needleworker - Clothing and accessories for men, women, and children; band boxes.
 Timely Tresses - Patterns, kits and ready-to-wear bonnets, caps, and headdresses. Flowers, ribbons, trimmings and other embellishments.

The Marketplace will be open to Conference participants AND the public on:
 Friday, March 7 11 AM - 7 PM
 Saturday, March 8 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
 Sunday, March 9 8 AM - 12:30 PM
 No admission fee.

cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
netnet
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »

Also posted on Genteel Arts Facebook page. I'm also looking for a roommate for the conference. Already have reservations Thursday through Saturday nights. You can contact me at annette@txcwcivilian.org

thanks.
Annette Bethke
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:30 PM »

Did you see the post from Miss Lisa above?
Spinninglisa
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »

I have a room mate sorted now. Hope you find someone!
netnet
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

Yes, I have a roommate now! I'm really excited to meet her!
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »

Don't forget to contact me if you are interested in performing Thursday evening!

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: