Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shantung or taffeta?  (Read 3251 times)
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« on: August 14, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

I've been dreaming about having a royal blue silk dress for some time now and I now have means to purchase fabric for it. However, I can't seem to find many silk taffetas in the color that I want within a decent price range - they're either too light, or they're blue/black changeable.  The few ones I have found are at least $20 a yard.
I found a source for silk shantung that would offer the color I want at a much lower price.  Should I get the shantung now or save up and blow upwards of $100 on taffeta? :c
(Maybe I'm spoiled by the cheap silks at the discount outlet in Chicago...)

A diehard fan of hand-sewing and Stephen Douglas
darlinedemott
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:21 AM »

I am almost afraid to ask WHERE the discount outlet is in Chicago... I am going there for a conference next week and may blow my inheritance if I do break away and shop there, but what the heck, please tell me.... Grin  I'll be downtown at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive.
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »

Shantung often includes slubs and varying thicknesses of thread in the weave... which would be seen as inferior and highly undesireable in period.
I hate to be the raincloud, but save up for taffeta.

What color are you looking for and how much do you need? We may be able to suggest something. :-)

FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »

http://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/temaer/modens-historie/1840-1890/blaa-balkjole/  I was hoping for a color like this to make a reproduction, but there seem to be precious few royal blues out there...  I found a few shantungs that don't appear to be slubby.  I'll probably have to order a swatch first.
2121 21st street in the Pilsen area of Chicago - really big, mostly poly upholstery fabrics, but their silk is very cheap when you can find a good taffeta ($15 or so per yard regardless of the weave, pattern, width, etc.)  Go if it's not out of the way, but there are a few better places to go (the vogue in Evanston is the very best!)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:04:34 PM by FriedaFauve » Logged

FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

Would these be appropriate?
http://www.bangkokthaisilk.com/servlet/the-385/Cobalt-Blue-Silk-Taffeta/Detail
http://www.bangkokthaisilk.com/servlet/the-608/Blue-Sapphire-Silk-Taffeta/Detail
And the shantung: https://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Regal-Silk-Shantung-Vibrant-Iris-IV13RSS-03.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:58:31 PM by FriedaFauve » Logged

Marta Vincent
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:11:54 PM »

Watch the warehouse on 21st.  They used to be really good until Shlemiel retired, but some of their 'silks' may not be.  The guy (owner) will know, but the regular clerks may not.
Marta Vincent
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

I like the two Thai silks.  Yhey look nice & smooth & crisp, but the Shantung will be disappointing.  It will be rough texture, floppy and fray like crazy!
melissamary
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »

The silks from Bangkok Thai silks are wonderful (I have ordered from them before and have had good experiences) but they are only 40" wide.  Ok for covering a bonnet, difficult for making an entire dress from.  I was about to order quite a lot of silk from them for my own royal blue gown, but found a cheaper (and wider) alternative that happened to be a different shade of blue (c'est la vie).  If you do have your heart set on their silks, order from them on Ebay because they give you the option of offering a price.  Also, if you want a swatch of the Blue Sapphire, pm me--I can cut a square from mine and send it to you Smiley
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:06:42 AM »

Shantungs can be okay, but the biggest problem is the wide array of fabrics to which this name is applied. The type of fabric Marta is describing is more like a noile. I have handled some decent shantungs and actually have one waiting to be made up that is extremely taffeta-like, but it's in a gorgeous plaid with a woven satin stripe, and all that visual busyness and intentional texture change downplays the very minor slubbing. I wouldn't be happy with it in a solid.
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:45:27 AM »

Thank you for the info, I suppose I'll stick to the taffeta.  Better start saving up!

darlinedemott
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »

Thanks for the Chicago info, if I have time I will try to get there - and will beware  Cool 
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »

Well, I FINALLY got around to buying some of that royal blue silk taffeta.  I'll be sure to keep you all posted as to the quality and weight of it when it comes!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: