Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic clothing for not-quite-china dolls?  (Read 3788 times)
Miss Keller
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

New here so I do apologise if this is not appropriate. I have a large collection of dolls (including some antiques) and enjoy making clothing for many of them. In particular I have a few who, while not china, are made of a material that greatly mimics it though more durable. I have been working on some dresses of various periods including Civil War for these, because I used to work at a museum and it makes it easier to explain some things with a small model to flip over and undress. When their clothing is finished, would it be alright to post them here?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Nice repros are welcome. Smiley Please do share your projects as you go!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:28 AM »

Oh, what a great project. I am excited to see what you have.

BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »

Oh, please do post!

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Miss Keller
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

Well that is the thing, they arent repros of originals or intended to be, they are a type of collectible doll on their own. Thats why I ask before posting them. I have no pictures in period dress right now as it seems what I did have was left at my parents house when I moved out, but heres a picture of some not-great bits pulled together to make something appropriate looking.

I'm working on a more correct set of clothing right now, out of a bit of sheer cotton with small blue roses that is a bit too small and busy looking for a full size dress.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:32:17 AM by Miss Keller » Logged
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »

If I might misquote; 'The dress is the thing!' Cheesy  No matter the doll, I think we'd all love to see some good reproductions of Civil War era gowns on them. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:24:23 PM by BethT » Logged

Thus began fashion.
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »

As long as it's OK with Elizabeth, I ditto Beth! I'd love to see repro dresses on dolls. Smiley

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

As the dress IS the thing, I'd be delighted to see more. Smiley  (Betsy, what does it say that I KNOW the slight-mis-quote? Smiley )

Regards,
Elizabeth
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

The nice thing about this board is that I feel able to quote relatively obscure things and SOMEONE also knows. Cheesy  I can also use the word 'wonky' and no one blinks. Cheesy

-BethT

Thus began fashion.
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »

As the dress IS the thing, I'd be delighted to see more. Smiley  (Betsy, what does it say that I KNOW the slight-mis-quote? Smiley )

And what does it say that I know the rest of the original quote, what the rest of the scene is like, and what it's from?? Actually, all I did just now is expose that I was an English Major and that that is my favorite story! Wink I can quote far too much from there!

The nice thing about this board is that I feel able to quote relatively obscure things and SOMEONE also knows.  Smiley I can also use the word 'wonky' and no one blinks.  Smiley

And I'm with ya there, Beth!

Miss Keller - I'd love to see the dresses! I've considered making a full from-skin-out doll ensemble, but haven't gotten around to it. I sort of made one last year for my sister's Kirsten doll - but I've since learned more and might try it again. Can't wait to see yours!

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »

(That's all partially due to me being one big bundle of linguistic anomalies, with a penchant for making up words. Smiley )

Regards,
Elizabeth
Miss Keller
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »

Right now working on her chemise and corset, which is proving tricky as she has a hard body instead of soft stuffed fabric. Trying to just smooth out her figure though as she is already a pretty slim girl so hoping a corset made with stiff fabric and heavy stitching will do the trick. Found a pair of pretty white lawn drawers with nice fine crochet lace that just need a new non-elastic waistband in my doll box, along with a real antique cotton doll petticoat that fits her, so theres two less things that need making!

Oh, by the way, has anyone here ever seen a book on cloth dolls that were the size of Barbie, and had a full range of American history clothing? My grandmother had it in her dollmaking books but its gone missing and we sorely miss it. It was from around the 60s/70s and the clothing was a little basic but not really too far off and was designed to fit both the dolls in the book and plastic ones like Barbie, Ken, GI Joe, and I think Cissy or similar slightly older dolls.
Liana W.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »

I'm guessing that she's a BJD?  If so, she probably doesn't need a corset shape-wise (and as you already noted, there's only so much you can do with a hard body), although if she'll be undressed showing off what layers a lady would wear, the corset is important.

My reproduction china doll is currently sitting next to a Bobobie Yao (a faun, complete with hooves and horns) and they're both abundantly supplied with Japanese-style clothing. But I really do mean to make her some proper Victorian clothing . . . someday.   Grin
Miss Keller
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »

She is indeed a bjd, a Customhouse Choa. I have some others but she has the most old fashioned look and delicate shape. The others vary in fashion from a fantasy elf with dresses made from old saris to a pair of rock stars and some sugary cute Japanese pop fashion girls. Personally I think they still very much need a corset because without it even a very well tailored dress looks odd, too much curve around the bust. Used to have a very nice satin one for another doll but its vanished along with their cage hoop so everything has to be started over.

On the plus side though someone on another site found the book I was looking for and the title is so obvious that I feel silly. Its simply called The Doll Book and seems common enough on Amazon that I'll be picking up a replacement soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: