Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toddler undergarments  (Read 1438 times)
Marjorie
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

I'm trying to figure out undergarments for my little one and need some help.

I have both the Girls' Dress Pattern and Girls' Linens pattern from the SA, ages 2-12.

My dd is just turned 2, but big for her age.  At her birthday a month and a half ago she was 3' and 32 lbs, 95%ile and 98%ile for height and weight.

We have a loaner dress and chemise right now, and my older (17 yo) dd made her a pair of drawers to cover her modern diaper cover (we use cloth, but I didn't figure a PUL butterflies and cupcakes cover would be very period peeking out from under the skirts  Grin )

So, here's my questions --

We are currently in Minnesota where it gets hot and humid in the summer but not as bad as other places.  We did a 4th of July event and she was quite flushed and her hair was soaked with sweat under her hat.  We may be moving back to Arizona, where it is much hotter but not nearly as humid.

Do we use corded stays?  In the SA pattern, the sizing goes all the way down but the text talks about support for the pre-teen girl, so I'm not sure if corded stays are appropriate for a toddler.  If we do use them, how long should I expect them to last, growth wise?  Should I plan on remaking them yearly, more often, every few years?  Is there a way to build in growing room?  Will they be too hot?  We have a mockup done in drill and muslin, but could I just use 2 layers of muslin?

Next would be petticoats.  I've been seeing elsewhere to use 2 petticoats.  Should one be corded, or should they just be tucked?  The current group I'm in is civilian and uses hoops (ladies do, I mean), but if we move I'm not sure.   She's not currently a tree climber or tumbler, loves to dress up, prefers to either sit near me and play quietly or wander off a short distance.  She kept her hat on all day yesterday pretty much on her own (no ties).

Part of me is terrified of all the layers I'm imagining and the heat -- chemise, stays of drill & muslin, lined dress bodice, and pinafore.  That's 6 layers up top!  I can just see her passing out from the heat Sad  Would summer or hot weather use have been fewer layers?  Say just the chemise and lined dress (this is what we did yesterday, but I'm not sure how accurate we were)?

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:12:53 PM by Marjorie » Logged
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »

Stays are common in the period for littles, but not absolute. And, they can be made in lightweight cottons, not drill; cotton sateen is quite firm enough! My own girls like them, because they gave a spot to button petticoats, and nothing had to be tight around their middles, but we also don't do a lot of truly hot-weather events, because my own self can't take the heat well.

I'd look at doing a chemise, or perhaps a petticoat-chemise combination (chemise with waistband, petticoats below--essentially, like a little underdress) with a tucked petticoat on top of that. Do unlined dress bodices, pinafores as needed, and sunbonnets. Using lighter fabrics for hot weather is sensible, and seems to be consistent with period practices, too, so definitely do that. Smiley

If her petticoats will stay up, you could slim it down to a chemise, drawers as needed for modern diaper coverage (I love modern cloth diaper bums!), a tucked petticoat, and an unlined dress... and if you need to strip her down further for heat reasons, she can go right down to a chemise, sitting in a basin of cool water, and still be totally accurate.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Marjorie
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »

Thank you!  That sounds much more doable  Smiley

My own girls like them, because they gave a spot to button petticoats, and nothing had to be tight around their middles, but we also don't do a lot of truly hot-weather events, because my own self can't take the heat well.

she has the big toddler belly, so I'm not sure they will stay up.  So if nothing is tight around the middle, does that mean the stays are loose, and really more like a chemise-petticoat combination?

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

The corded stays don't have to be tight-tight, but they're more "gentle hug", and have shoulder straps, so they stay in place on the torso a bit better, and petticoats hang from buttons on the waist. But a petticoat-chemise combination might be the best option for her. The band is semi-fitted and comfortable, and the shoulder of the chemise can be adjusted to sit on her shoulder joint, so everything hangs level and comfy.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: