Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get these curls?  (Read 3134 times)
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »

Hello,
Has anyone had any luck getting curls like these?

We have tried the curling iron and two different methods of rag curls. Any suggestions?

MrsPeebles
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »

Yes, I gave my daughter curls like this. The trip is to have long 1 or 1.5  inch strips of cloth, the length depends upon the length of hair, but easily 45 or 60 inches. Next, leave a 4 inch strip at the top of the head, and then wrap a hank of hair, depending on the width of the curl you want, I did3/4 inch of hair for my daughter, and then wrap the wet hair around the strip of cloth as tightly as you can. Once you reach the bottom, tuck the end in, and the wrap the cloth tightly back up around the outside of the curl, thus covering the entire hank of hair. Tie the end to the 4 inch top of the head in a simple knot or bow, and let it dry.

This method works quite well, and once done, the style can be reset with dry hair every evening, keeping the curls fresh as a daisy every day. I never used any spray hair treatments on my daughter, I found that just attracted dirt. It's easy, and fast, and looks great with a bit of practice.
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:20 AM »

Ditto- Stephanie
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

I found this uber-interesting tutorial I am dying to try on one of my straighter-haired friends, but might be helpful to you.  I have not done any research into it, so this is a raw find with no data but the youtube lady's word! Cheesy 

It looks very like period technique to me, only the lady in question did not use period method for heating the curls before un-papering them. I'm wondering if this is what it means in old books when they talk of a lady having her hair 'all done up in papers'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9PJsY5__4

-BethT

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Kimberly Scott
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

Yes, I gave my daughter curls like this. The trip is to have long 1 or 1.5  inch strips of cloth, the length depends upon the length of hair, but easily 45 or 60 inches. Next, leave a 4 inch strip at the top of the head, and then wrap a hank of hair, depending on the width of the curl you want, I did3/4 inch of hair for my daughter, and then wrap the wet hair around the strip of cloth as tightly as you can. Once you reach the bottom, tuck the end in, and the wrap the cloth tightly back up around the outside of the curl, thus covering the entire hank of hair. Tie the end to the 4 inch top of the head in a simple knot or bow, and let it dry.

This method works quite well, and once done, the style can be reset with dry hair every evening, keeping the curls fresh as a daisy every day. I never used any spray hair treatments on my daughter, I found that just attracted dirt. It's easy, and fast, and looks great with a bit of practice.

TorrinPaige on youtube has posted a "how to" (with really long hair) on making these curls:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZgOhopgL8
MrsPeebles
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

On the Tpaige youtube tutorial, her curls look far too loose. If you make several smaller curls, much higher, and tighter, you'll look much more like the original photograph.
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for your ideas and links. We have tried the hair wrapping method mentioned by a few of you. I'll try it again but for us, it seems to get frizzy. I'm thinking that it's because we just do a few and pull them apart. In this image, the girl's curls are very crisp, like she used a curling iron and "fried" hairspray. Each curl looks perfectly cylindrical and hollow. Ours turn out much softer looking.

Beth - I was so curious about your link. It sent me on a googlebooks search looking for references for curling papers. I found a LOT of references to those. In Godey's 1859 they also mentioned curl clasps. These are basically hot rollers:

"Toilet Curl Clasps - A new article, to take the place of curl papers. A most ingenious and useful article; one that will entirely supersede the ungraceful paper. These clasps are manufactured by the celebrated firm of Gibbud, lvins & Co. They also make thirty-four different styles of shawl and scarf pins; also hair pins, belt clasps, fancy dress buttons, etc.; but the toilet curl clasp is a new invention. We will give the directions how to produce a most luxuriant set of curls: -

Directions for using the Toilet Curl Clasps - Moisten the hair with cold water, comb and part it; then unhook the clasps and commence at the small end. Roll the hair around them tight and smoothly, with the large end of the clasp up. Hook them, and let them remain so for a few hours; then unhook them, and place the thumb and forefinger on the curl and draw out the clasp without unwinding it in the least, and your ringlet will be smooth and perfect.

They will form curls in less time if the clasps are heated in the oven of the stove just so warm that they can be handled, before the hair is rolled on to them. There are three sizes, Nos. 1, 2, 3.. No 3 being the largest."

Later in the year Godey's starts selling these, I guess:

"Godey's Curl Clasps. Twelve in a box. No. 1, 2, and 3. Price 75 cents, which covers the postage except to California or Oregon.

Godey's Hair Crimpers. Each box contains twelve, of various sizes. Price 75 cents a box, which covers the postage, except to California or Oregon."

Also, If you look at that video again and stop at 0:37, there looks to be curling irons between the ?scissors? and the ?hair? in the book illustration.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: