Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dough Box.  (Read 1363 times)
MrsPeebles
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Greetings One & All,

I've seen a few dough box tables in my time, but have not looked to see what kind of finish was done on the inside. Can anyone answer if they had raw wood, waxed, or stained finishes inside where the dough rests? I know some folks use dough bowls inside the box, while others simply drop the dough at the bottom of the box to rise. Your thoughts please.
Robin C
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

Husband made me a dough box a few years ago.  It is made of poplar and I used vegtable oil to smooth it at first.  Mistake!!! I found that if the box is oiled, the bread dough gets soggy, even if baked on a pizza stone.   So, my dough box now has a floured interior.  Flour for mixing and lightly cover the dough before letting it to rise. The oil  from the bread etc season the box.  The original "Bread machine" Also, if one doesn't use it for a period of time, set a couple of cups of hot water in it a couple of hours ahead of time. This allows the wood to absorb the moisture and help with the bread making process.
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:02:08 AM »

Mrs Pebbles-  Google books has a few books on how to set up a bakery including how to make a dough box.  Stephanie
MrsPeebles
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »

Thank you both for your reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: