Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brag Section  (Read 36079 times)
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2014, 06:01:34 PM »

Thank you, friends!  I know they're hard to see... I tried to hide as many of them as possible with my fan!  I was thinking, could I alter the bust darts instead of the side darts?  I honestly don't have a preference, but it fits in such a way that ht barely closes at the back but is really baggy at the front... I don't know how it works.

A diehard fan of hand-sewing and Stephen Douglas
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:20 AM »

Hi Frieda,

From what I can see, it just looks too big. But since you say it fits tightly in back, it sounds like it's just big in front and the front seams/darts need taken up. Taking up the sides might reduce the waist size but introduce more wrinkles. Is there room in the bust itself? If so, you should probably take up the princess seams. If it's smooth in the bust but wrinkly at the waist, you may be able to just adjust the darts, as long as that doesn't pull the princess seams out of line.

I can't really tell which are darts and which are princess seams. I really like the angles of the seams that I can see in the first picture. If it's possible, perhaps just move in the side front pieces in, and leave the center fronts as-is.

it fits in such a way that ht barely closes at the back but is really baggy at the front

I wonder if the whole front bodice pattern is too straight. Your side profile probably curves in signicantly under the bust, but it doesn't look like the bodice seams have that same amount of curve. And you're left with too much material at the front waist.  I'd be inclined to take out both (or at least one) of the side front seams from the bust down, put it on inside out, pin the center front to me, and then just smooth the side front piece over until there's no excess material. A non-scientific approach, but sometimes that's the easiest way to go when you're past the muslin stage.

By the way, it's a lovely dress, and splendid use of the lace!

FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2014, 06:39:19 AM »

Thank you, I'll probably do that first, or perhaps a combination of taking in the side bust darts and taking in the side seams by 1/2" or so at the bottom.  And I was so hoping to avoid taking off all of that waist piping!

Miss Lydia
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »

Ahh, Frieda, everything you make is always so gorgeous! I love that color on you and admit I'm jealous of that lace! Well, if I'm making confessions, I'm jealous of your entire wardrobe!  Cheesy Don't stop posting, you're fueling my day dreams of a to-die-for 1860's wardrobe!
Anneliese Meck
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Ahh, Frieda, everything you make is always so gorgeous! I love that color on you and admit I'm jealous of that lace! Well, if I'm making confessions, I'm jealous of your entire wardrobe!  Cheesy Don't stop posting, you're fueling my day dreams of a to-die-for 1860's wardrobe!

I agree with everything Miss Lydia said - Frieda, you are such an inspiration to the rest of us.  Your newest ballgown is STUNNING! Cheesy

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »

I agree that you have too much fabric at the front of the waist, but I'm also seeing that your fabric is not attached closely enough to your boning. I'm presuming you have the usual one bone up the middle, two bones on either side, along the seams? It looks as if the fabric is pushing up in a way it shouldn't be able to do if it's snug enough to the boning, and the boning is snug enough in its casings.
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2014, 05:28:02 AM »

I do, I put them in with bias tape binding attached to the seam allowances which are whip stitched to the bodice proper.  Should I have attached it to the lining of the bodice instead of the seam allowances? I noticed that a lot of bodices I've seen have 'neater' looking front seams than mine, no matter how much I iron them.  At first I attributed it to my hand stitching, but I only did that for one of the princess seams.

(and thank you, ladies! c: )

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »

Oh it's so pretty, Frieda!  Smiley I love it.. little question, why does the lace only go half way around?  Grin But beautiful work and I wish I could sew like you! Smiley

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

Hello, Everyone

May I first say, Miss Frieda, your ball gown is stunning!  It is such a lovely colour.

After a few months of absence this busy new year--my apologies--I am ready to post my first brag.  Here is a day dress I made for the 2013 Richmond, Kentucky Reenactment:

With newly completed bonnet . . .

I found the plaid print at Fabric.com and quite liked the striking, uncommon colours.  A bit late to ask, but since the plaid was not a "tartan", is it period correct?

Also, here is the completed white bodice/blue skirt outfit that you all helped with last Christmas time.  It was drawn from Margaret Hale's (North & South) outfit.  This is at Kentucky's Ward Hall:

And with my handsome brother . . .

The silk skirt I dyed myself; and the bodice is trimmed with lace from Fine French Laces (my new-found favorite lace resource Smiley).

Please feel free to offer your critique, as I am continually learning here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:00:14 PM by Allison vV » Logged

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »

Very pretty, on both counts.  I've never heard that plaids have to be 'tartan', even if Queen Vicky's tartan-decorating is credited with starting a fad for plaids.

Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »

Thank you, Mrs. Korsmo.  I wasn't questioning the suitability of the fabric because it was not a tartan, but rather hoping that it was okay because it was not a tartan, but merely a plaid.  Does that makes sense?

Allison van Vegten

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »

Still stands. A plaid does not have to be a tartan to be appropriate. I just adore a loud plaid dress and yours is lovely! Beautiful job withthe fitting. Your neatly dressed hair and crisp accessories stand out too. If you want, a neat silk bow at your throat will add a lot; make her it a different plaid for extra sass  Grin

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Hannah Marie
New Scribbler

« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »

You look so lovely, Allison! That blue really brings out your eyes.  Smiley
Theresa W
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2014, 04:31:10 AM »

Its so pretty! And looks very becoming on you :-) The bonnet turned out nice too!! Great job! :-)
~Theresa
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »

I believe what Allison was trying to say was, "I know that tartans aren't right for ordinary dresses, and I was hoping that the non-tartan plaid I chose was right in other respects, too." And yes, you've chosen a great plaid that suits you very well.

As for critiques, you've done a great job on the dress! My only suggestion for the next one would be that this waist is quite low for the 1860s; I would raise it at least an inch, probably a skosh more. This is more of an early 1850s waist, although not outside the realm of possibility for early CW (always better to have a slightly out-of-date feature than one that hasn't happened yet!). I love the pleating in the skirt.
Anneliese Meck
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »

Allison - Such 1860s splendor!!  I love the plaid and matching blue buttons!  So very, very pretty - wonderful job! Cheesy
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

Thank you for the complements, everyone Smiley.  And yes, Miss Jessamyn, that was what I meant about my choice of plaid.  I'm glad my selection was "correct".

Thank you, too, for the help on waist length.  I can quite easily modify my base pattern.  However, in the future, is there a guideline or proportion for proper waist lengths?  How could you tell it was too long, or do you just have a period "eye" for it Smiley?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:21:51 PM by Allison vV » Logged

Allison van Vegten

Maria
Frequent Scribbler

Gibson Ranch Reenactment 2011, Sacramento CA

« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »

Edited because I posted in the wrong section, but everyone looks SO great!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:41:56 PM by Maria » Logged

Maria Huerta, Docent
Sutter's Fort State Historic Park
Sacramento, CA
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »

Oh wow, Allison! I like that ensemble! And the plaid dress is most becoming, as well Smiley

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: