Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brag Section  (Read 31833 times)
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »

Oh Frieda! I'm SO jealous! I can't wait to make a sheer. That dress is DIVINE on you! My Heavens!  Wink Is that your straw hat you were asking about?!  Grin

P.S. My mother and I have held counsel and decided it best that I begin making my dresses full length as I will probably be of age by the time I ever get to reenact!  Smiley Guess what? Next time I make a dress, it will be full length!  Grin

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »

Thanks, Ruth!  And congrats on getting to go full-length.  Just watch out for the hems of full-length sheer dresses, especially during vigorous reels....

A diehard fan of hand-sewing and Stephen Douglas
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »

Thanks!  Kiss Haha! Definitely.  Wink

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

Okay... I made a whole dress in one day... minus sewing the sleeves together and cutting two skirt panels!  Cheesy I've gone to full length now... I was going to make a short skirt but then my mom and I came up with a business venture in the realm of reenacting- aka sutler tents... so I've had to transition immediately. I miss those short skirts!  Wink

Here it is!

Sunbonnet was also made in one day, though not the same day! Hope everybody likes it!

Oh- by the way, the collar is detachable so I didn't make that!  Smiley

eta: oops, I forgot I'm not wearing any pettis, just the hoop. That's why the skirt looks kinda lame!

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

Embarrassed I don't mean to be a bit 'too' pushy about my bragging, but... is there a reason nobody's answered my post? Is there something wrong with the dress that nobody wants to point out?  Shocked

Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

Ruth,
Part of the reason may be that the chatter does tend to slow down as everyone is getting ready for events, especially with Gettysburg coming up. 

But as you have noticed, sometimes there is a silence when there are some problems with a project.  I hate to be the little black rain cloud but I am the kind of person who likes to be told if something is wrong so that I can correct it or make changes the next time.   Since you have asked I am hoping you are the same type of person.

First the positives.  As I mentioned in my PM your fit which can be so hard looks very nice.  It is hard to tell how the front fits from these pictures but if it is as nice as the back you are doing GREAT!  Your sunbonnet is adorable and the curtain length is fabulous.  It's hard to tell since you are standing on uneven ground but your skirt length seems very nice, especially since you are looking at longer skirts.  Do you have any shots on paved surface or floor?

Ok now the rain cloud parts.  It is very, very unusual to have a contrasting sleeves on a dress, especially a regular cotton dress.  You will sometimes see them as a very sheer fabric on a silk but that is a high fashion look.  While I am a novice when it comes to originals, I have never seen a sleeve where the sleeve band fabric contrasts with the sleeve fabric.  To make your dress more correct you could replace the white sleeve with one to match the dress fabric.  Which brings me to the second rain cloud, harder to fix.  Unless the pictures are really distorting the pattern, your dress fabric is not a pattern found in the mid 1800's.  The pattern is reading very random and scattered and more "modern ye old fashion" than a period print. 

Again the fit is the hard part and you have that down.  Save your pennies to buy some period correct fabric and you will really look like you stepped out of a CDV.  We'll be watching and cheering you on.
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, I was wondering about the contrasting sleeves, that's the main reason I wanted an answer. How about if I added caps on the top. This is a sheer material and very nice... I think the pattern's alright. It isn't random at all. It's all the same, I think two flowers, just repeated over and over again. I'll try to get a close up of the pattern.

Thanks again!  Smiley

Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »

Hi Ruth,

I haven't see nearly as many originals as others have, either, but I agree with Paula. I'm really not sure that adding sleeve caps would do anything. Personally, I would change out the sleeves for self-fabric, possibly short sleeves, since you're young enough. You can always change the sleeves back if you find the research to support the look. Smiley

I'd love to see a close-up of the fabric!

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »

I'm going to ditto Ginger and Paula - the vast majority of dresses had sleeves of the same fabric as the rest of the dress. The shape of your sleeves looks pretty good, especially for your first dress - I can tell you that my first dress did not fit nearly as well as yours fits! Change those sleeves and you'll be well on your way.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »

Thanks... this is actually my third dress!  Embarrassed Don't you think with a very nice cotton contrasting sleeves can be okay? (I don't have enough of the same material for sleeves that's the only reason I did muslin!)

Mary Warren
Dedicated Scribbler

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/marywarns/

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »

Since you are still of an age to wear younger styles, maybe by shortening the skirt you could gain enough fabric to make matching short sleeves?

Mary Warren

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.?  ?  ?  Thomas Jefferson
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

I'll still say that your fit is better than my third dress Wink

As Mary says, you can get some scrap material out of your skirt. Can you go back to the store and buy another yard or so? Even if you can't, I've had really good luck with piecing together yardages here and there - I often shop at fabric outlets frequented by quilters, so there may only be 6 or 7 yards on a bolt and I'll need to get a yard or two by searching for random quilt shops online. If you have the name of the fabric company, fabric line and pattern name, and get a good scan of the fabric, there may be someone on here who can help you find some extra yardage.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »

Miss Ruth, I think your answer is in looking for and at original cdv's.  It's not that the sleeves won't look nice, it's just that when you look (which I'm sure you have) at the originals or photos of the originals, I personally have never found a dress that had contrasting sleeves.  So I think with this particular dress I think you have to ask yourself what your objective is.  If you want a pretty dress, you certainly have that!  If you want a dress that is as close as possible to what one of our ancestresses might have worn, I don't think that the contrasting sleeves will be accurate, as far as I can tell.  

Please do post closeups!  And I greatly admire your fit and bonnet!  Especially the latter, which is quite, quite pretty.

-Beth
edited for typo....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:41:42 PM by BethT » Logged

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
FriedaFauve
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:08 AM »

My apologies, I was out of state and couldn't comment.  The dress looks lovely and the fit is excellent, and that's really the part that most attests to your sewing ability.  The sunbonnet is wonderful (I wish that I had one like that!) And I do think that little cap sleeves might be more appropriate than contrasting ones.  I think you could save and bleach the contrasting one and make long undersleeves to put under the short sleeves - I recall a few cdvs of women with short puffed sleeves and long white undersleeves.

A diehard fan of hand-sewing and Stephen Douglas
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:36 AM »

Friedafauve, I respectfully disagree.  The under sleeves you are referring to are normally a very sheer fine fabric not a regular utility muslin which is going to look and hang dramatically different. 
Emily Barry
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »

Friedafauve, I respectfully disagree.  The under sleeves you are referring to are normally a very sheer fine fabric not a regular utility muslin which is going to look and hang dramatically different.

In her defense, I think Miss Ruth said that it is a sheer fabric, not utility muslin.  White sheers don't always photograph as very sheer!
This is a sheer material and very nice...

And the fit is very nice, Miss Ruth!
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »

Well thanks! It's nice to know I got the fit right.

Emily: Yes, this is different from utility muslin. It's sheer. I can see my arm through it without having a light behind me.

Frieda: I can make you one for only $15  Wink

Paula: I think the main problem with how my sleeves look in those pictures are because of the way I attached them. (good thing I didn't sew them on well. I only basted!)

Beth: Thanks, I'm not sure I know where to find original cdv's. I've googled it and can never come up with anything.

Betsy and Mary: Yeah, I thought of doing that. I'm still not sure I'll have enough, though; because I like to have a deep hem...

Anyhow, Thanks for the comments, everybody! I'll try to get a closeup... I know, I'm very slow getting pictures up!  Smiley

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »

Ruth, start by typing CDV into the Search box on this forum.

The Graceful Lady, Anna Allen's website, has lots of images of dresses and of CDVS.

The earlier threads about dressing teens included images, but perhaps some of the links no longer work.

There are usually CDVs for sale on eBay, the dates may be waaaaaay off.

The Wisconsin Historical Society website includes pictures of clothing and of people.

HTH,

Ms. Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »

Also, go check out the 'resources' thread over in 'Dresses' which has more links than you can click on in an afternoon. Cheesy  All sorts of things there.

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

I'm afraid I join in the Little Black Raincloud moment with the contrasting sleeve; it's just not something I've seen on originals or photos or other period sources, and it is a distracting element of the current project.

How is your hem done? If it's turned, I'd suggest changing it to a facing, and using that fabric to make short sleeves in the same matching fabric.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: