Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Wind Thread on a Spool  (Read 1796 times)
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« on: May 11, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »

I find modern thread spools distracting when demonstrating period sewing machines "in character", so have been looking for a good way to wind thread on empty wooden ones.  I can find no mention of a period (or modern) spool winding machine available to consumers.  However, I came up with a method that works well for me and might be of use to others.

The first image shows the necessary hardware:

- An electric drill (preferably variable speed)
- A bolt, long enough to go completely through the spool with enough extra length for the chuck to grip.  Nut and washer not shown
- The bobbin winder tension mechanism on a sewing machine

Here the bobbin winder has been threaded, and the free end of the thread trapped between the washer and spool:

The spool is chucked into the machine, which can be supported in your lap.  Use one hand to operate the switch, and the other to keep the thread feeding smoothly.

Closeup of the free hand and thread.

The filled spool after removal from the drill (no, the thread didn't change color, this was actually the previous one)

A small lathe, or even a drill press would probably do just as well.  I'm interested in other people's methods of doing this.

Hope this is useful,

Jim Ruley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:53:49 AM by Jim_Ruley » Logged
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »

Thanks, Mr Ruley! I've been wondering about that, too, cause I never like the look of modern spools either! Thanks again!  Smiley

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »

Love this! Great way to do the prep needed for on-site demos, Mr Ruley!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

My dad welded a bolt and some washers to a bobbin to fit the bobbin winder on my bernina and I have used the bobbin winder to put thread on my wooden spools.  Without a specialized bobbin I have even used poster putty,a bobbin and a pencil and it worked fine too.  Probably not as efficient as a drill though.  I might try that next time.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Mrs. G.W. Spring
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »

The drill is a wonderful, clever idea!  I use my modern sewing machine bobbin winder - it is on top of my machine.  I use a drinking straw cut to extend the length of the spool.  I also use my finger to guide the thread up and down the spool.  I have been able to use this method for both large and small spools. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: