Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shine on shoe?  (Read 1717 times)
Catherine Lee
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »

I am outfitting my kiddos and have just ordered their shoes. The Mary Janes I bought for my two year old are patent leather and pretty shiney. I was just wondering if I should not worry about it or try to dull the shine in some way; if so does anyone have any tips. We need them for en event this weekend and I needed some fast. Thank goodness for GVS, an amish catalog. Had everything I needed along with fast shipping. Cheesy

Thanks a bunch,
Catherine
Mary Gutzke
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »

I'm no expert, but I don't believe shoes were shiny (as in patent leather shiny) in the period. Personally, I don't  think I'd worry much about it as I'm sure they'll get good and scuffed in no time on an active toddler.  Wink But if you want, I wonder if you might try something like a Mr. Clean magic eraser on an inconspicuous spot on the shoe. Since it's a very fine grain abrasive I would think it would dull the finish some. But again, test it out first...I would hate to see a new pair of shoes ruined.

Mary Gutzke
Catherine Lee
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »

I hadn't thought of that! I'll try that first. I was reading yesterday some use a scrub sponge and I thought that would be way to abrasive. I was planning on doing nail polish remover or rubbing alchol. I read that once it's off you need to put on some kiwi polish to give it even color and give it a matte finish. Guess I'll have to wait til they arrive to see. I really hope it will work cause they are perfect for the period look, plus I'm in a time pinch.

Thanks for the idea,
Catherine
Glenna Jo Christen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »

They did have "patent" leather in our period as well (or the same as?) glazed leather. (The term 'patent' leather refers to the patent(s) given for the process of creating that permanent shine.) The trouble is, knowing just how shiny that leather was when it was new, compared to the level of shine they still retain 150 some years later.
We have some shoes that are Very glossy (think of the level of shine on the shoes worn by the soldier's guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or other ceremonial occasions) even today so that tells me they were probably Very shiny.

What I don't think they had was the plastic looking level of shine on some modern "patent" leather shoes that are not made of leather at all.

Glenna Jo Christen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: