Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ideas for a museum display  (Read 1670 times)
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« on: February 14, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »

Hi everyone! (Liz, I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this!)
Hoping to tap into your expertise here.
A member of the local historical society (here in Northeast Ohio) is putting together a display (of period items) about civil war period cooking. She's looking for ideas of what to look for in their collection to put into this display. I don't know much about cooking (period or modern!); I tend to stick with fabric and sewing! So if anyone has any ideas I could pass on, I'd be much obliged!
Thanks!
-Sarah

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:40:04 AM »

Cathy Wright from the Museum of the Confederacy put together a very nice "basic" exhibit of such items from their collection.  I've got photos I'd be happy to send; you can also contact her through the museum.

I call it basic because it's the mundane stuff scrounged when things got tough rather than the super gorgeous things we usually see:
Equipment and supplies for straw plait production
Receipt books
Miscellaneous other books
Baskets
Bottles and supplies for medicines or ink subsitiutes for writing I can't tell, the image I took is horrible and I forgot to photograph the label.

Clothing items included:
A paper dress sleeve pattern made from newspaper
Homespun fabric swatches
Homemade straw hats
Glove patterns

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:25:44 AM »

I'd love to see the pictures! They've already got most of a "Lincoln" civil war display, but were hoping to add a cooking-specific display. I guess part of the exhibit is traveling, and they supplement with their own items (to my understanding). Your lists are really helpful, thanks!

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:05 AM »

Are asking about the cooking equipment it's self?

Are they going to represent cooking on a stove or hearth? Stoves were very much used, but not seen in Museums much.

There is a list in Peterson or godey's of suggested items for a kitchen. If I find that soon I will type up the list.

Additionally things I don't usually see:

saucepans, tin lined or unlined and the different uses of them.

cutlery - basic to fancy

serving pieces - basic redware to silver

That's what comes to mind right now.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Could you also provide clues about the economic status and whether we are talking about in town or on a farm?

Michael Mescher
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »

There will be a small cooking demo. This historical society is in a small town, but I think the display could span more areas.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: