Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glossary of 1860s food terms?  (Read 1299 times)
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« on: February 26, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »

Hi Everyone!
I've been browsing a bit in the recipes and some of them sound great, but I've been coming across a few items I didn't know and had to look up.
The internet usually does serve the purpose of clarifying, but it'd be nice to have one source with the terms in one place.
So: I was wondering if anyone knows of a good dictionary of foods, or food terms, culinary terms, cooking terms, or the like, specificially covering words and foods I'd encounter in a Godey's or Beeton's recipe, for instance.
Thanks!
Sarah

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

Yes!  There are period glossaries or dictionaries just for food.  Look on Google Books.  It may also be called a culinary encyclopedia...  I've used it on multiple occasions.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »

Thanks for the tip!

I'm having trouble finding much right now, but I'll dig a little deeper after I finish grading papers  Grin

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: