Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petal or Angel Sleeve  (Read 2881 times)
Elaine Robeck
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »

My daughter wants petal sleeves on her next chemise.  I have Mrs Clarks girl's underthings pattern, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that sleeve from the pieces given.  Obviously I am missing something.  Anyone have any advice?

Elaine
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

Elaine, that's one I should do a tutorial on. It won't be til next week, but if you can wait? I'd be glad to do a photo walk-through.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Elaine Robeck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

It can wait  for a little while.  If you could that would be great!

Thanks!
Elaine Robeck
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »

Elizabeth,

Have you had any time to work on the tutorial?  I'm going to have to start the chemise soon.

Thanks,
Elaine
Marjorie
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

I'm working on this right now and having trouble figuring it out, too.  There's precious little online for petal or angel sleeves (one definition I found was sleeves that hang down to the knee to look like wings).

The instructions in the Girls' Linens merely say to overlap the pointed ends, of which there are none.

OK, looking at the drawing, it looks like a portion of the sleeve is actually cut off?  It doesn't say to do this on the pattern or in the instructions, so I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

I'm going to try this and see how it works.

Help?

Marjorie
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »

I think this is one of those cases where it is so obvious to experienced seamstresses how to do it, that it doesn't occur to them that someone may actually need instructions.   Smiley 
Marjorie
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

I rewrote the directions for myself, and this is what I came up with.  Please tell me if I'm wrong.

1.  Cut sleeves, using new lines.  Look on page 14 of Girls Linens 1840-1865 for what the shape should look like.  You will keep the neck edge and underarm, but instead of having a right angle with the fold on top, you will cut from the bottom edge to the top edge, running almost parallel to the armscye line.  Each sleeve will be 2 pieces (no fold) instead of 1.

2.  Flat fell a sleeve piece to bodice front, one on each side, matching notches.  Do the same with the other two sleeve pieces and the bodice backs. 

3.  Sew the underarm seams.  This will attach the front and backs together, but only at the underarm seams.  The top/neckline/top of shoulder will still be unstitched.  As the instructions state, the sleeves have no folded shoulder point because they are two pieces; simply match the neckline edges of the chemise and lay it flat, pin together, and sew the underarm seams.

4.  Turn under sleeve edges (long edges), then under again, and sew a narrow hem.  Your neckline and tops of sleeves are still wide open.

5.  Lining up raw edges of sleeves (shoulders) continued from neckline, overlap by 1-2".  Baste or pin well to keep together.

6.  Continue on to making the neckband.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »

That's exactly right! Sorry, I've neglected the tutorial. I will bump it up my list! Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Elaine Robeck
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »

Yipee!  That's how I did it too!  I just kept trying to make the sleeves without making any changes to the pattern pieces and I was making myself crazy.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »

I'm back in town now... back to work on The List. Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: