Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SS Great Britain  (Read 1513 times)
martyn fedhead
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:54:35 AM »

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »

The Great Britain is definitely an interesting stop if you are visiting London.  Bristol is just a few miles west of Bath and is within easy day trip range of London.  You can take the train from, I believe, Paddington Station.

The display of the ship is an interesting study in presentation.  When discovered in the Falkland Islands, the hull was no longer seaworthy because there are numerous spots where the steel has rusted through.  So to display the ship, they have it in a dry dock.  At the waterline are shallow clear plastic panels filled with maybe an inch of water.  This creates the illusion of water all around the ship.  Then if you take the stairs down, you can walk beside the hull below the waterline and look up through the water filled panels.

The ship has been restored to its appearance when it carried passengers.  We became aware of the ship display when they purchased a bunch of toys to show the things the children could have played with on their journeys.

Michael Mescher
martyn fedhead
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »

I live but 3 miles ish from this wonderful ship designed and build by I K Brunel truly a beautiful ship. There is a amazing archive where you can request documents for research. They also have a very good collection of contempary paintings,   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: