Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking Cap Materials and Construction Questions  (Read 4010 times)
rrbeers
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »

I'm getting ready to make a smoking cap.  It's going to be from red cotton velveteen.  I'd like to do braidwork on it and was wondering if the soutache from this Etsy seller would be good to use (that is, if I can get more than 1 pack in the same color...)?:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewsouk/search?search_query=soutache&search_submit=&search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5797096&shopname=sewsouk

If that's not good, what should I be looking for? I know Needle and Thread has wool soutache, but that only comes in black and natural which means I would need to dye the natural (yikes!!).

I think I'm going to line it in gold silk (quilted) and do gold braidwork and tassel.  Suggestions are welcome, though! Smiley

Also, what should I be looking for to make the tassel from? And wasn't there a thread on how to make a tassel? I can't find it... Huh
rrbeers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »

Ah, YouTube has videos on how to make tassels! Wink Still need to know what to buy to MAKE the tassel though! Smiley
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

I used a combination of DMC cotton "flower thread" and embroidery floss on the ones I made.
The tassels have a tendency to get tangled but it looks like the silk tassels on some originals did, too.

I cannot recall if any of the caps we looked at used soutache-Carolann will chime in at some point I'm sure.

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

Hi Rachel,

I have no opinion to offer on the soutache, unfortunately, but am really interested to hear from others what they think of it! For tassels, I have used silk embroidery thread. Fine (laceweight) yarn is another option.  Tassels are super easy to make, and there are a couple different methods for making them, this is the one I use: http://www.maurer-stroh.com/instructions/tassel.html

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Carolann Schmitt
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »

Maggie Koenig found a very nice soutache that she used on her wedding dress.  I really like how it could be manipulated.  I believe it was a rayon/cotton blend, but it had the same appearance and texture as silk. Most of the silk soutache available today is much too stiff; and wool soutache is very hard to find.

At the N-SSA nationals one of the contestants entered a lovely robe and nightdress ensemble.  It was trimmed with a three-strand braid she braided herself from cotton. You don't need humongous amounts of braid for a smoking cap, so that may be a possibility.

I haven't found soutache used for tassels on smoking caps. The tassels on the ones I've examined or have detailed photos of have been made from a variety of threads - some very fine, some akin to a size 5 or perle cotton, some fine wool, some twisted more heavily than others, some two or more different weights of thread used together.  Lots of room for creativity while staying within historic boundaries.  Smiley

Regards,
Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
rrbeers
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »

Thanks Ladies!

I did some more reading on the soutache for the braiding (and contacted the Etsy seller) and "art silk" is rayon.  It also looks like it's quite pliable (going by the earrings they sell made out of it), but I've asked if s/he'll send a sample.

I guess I'll have to do some digging on the floss/thread/stuff to buy for the tassel.  There seems to be good info here regarding silk thread/stuff, but I'm rather overwhelmed at the moment....: http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=8260.0

For those interested, I've started a Smoking Cap Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/rrbeers/smoking-cap/
E L Watkins-Morris
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

Alternative search tern for "soutache" : Russian braid

Liz W.

Materium Superbat Opus-Ovid
Simple yet complex...-Mark Baldridge, Art 101: The Principles of Design
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49:45 PM »

Reviving this to see if anyone has any newer recommendations for soutache/braid. Rachel - did you end up using that soutache, and if so, what did you think of it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:11:47 PM by BetsyConnolly » Logged

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: