Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bangs??  (Read 6156 times)
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so, just wondering... are bangs of ANY length suitable for a girl 13-15? I'm wondering because I want to attend the Gettysburg event next year. Just thought I'd ask around before I start growing my hair out.  Grin

And one more question... should I still leave some of my  hair down? I saw Samantha's post of her and her younger sister... so that brought questions too!  Grin

Thanks,

Ruth

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »

Well never say never but bangs for any age would be very uncommon.  That being said a lot of people on our forum get great period looks with modern bangs.  It just takes a lot of pomade to make sure everything stays put.  Hopefully Brooke will see this.  She just posted some great pictures of her period hairstyle with her new modern bangs.
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »

Hello Ruth! Welcome to the forum! Smiley

I've been getting a bit of practice doing 1860's hairstyles while fighting with bangs...it can definitely be trying so just take your time and experiment to see what works for you. Smiley

First we always start off by parting our hair and bangs in the middle while wet. Just make sure you keep your bangs brushed down/back. Maybe pin them down if they aren't staying. Wink
Here we simply parted Megan's hair down the center pinned her bangs back and then tied a ribbon over the pins and around her head.

For this one I just twisted the front of my hair and pinned it down. You just have be sure to twist it almost like your doing a french braid or something to where your catching more and more hair. The will hold any length of bangs in really well. The twist its self is almost more vertical then horizontal. It works super great and you could pair it up with any type of chignon, etc.

I've been really OCD lately about how mine looks. (I blame it on knowing I'm going to be meeting a super hardcore reenactor that is getting me into immersion events. lol) I wore it up for the first time in a very long time and also for the first time with it cut kinda short with layers and bangs. This is what I came up with... I started out by running a little gel thru the front sections of my hair/bangs. Didn't have pomade on hand. Then I put a comb in on each side. Next I made sure the ends of my bangs blended in with the rest of my hair (so they didn't stick out when I pulled the rest back into a chignon).

This is how the back looked. Lets just say its all real hair...but don't assume anything else.. haha

At your age you can still wear your hair down. For me I've left it down mainly cause it wasn't long enough to do any sort of decent looking updo.
Hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance or if you have any questions. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:30:23 PM by Brooke Whitaker » Logged

Cool-Born a Yankee, but a Rebel by choice- Cool
                      -Brooke-

My blog: http://stitchesofthepast.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shop:  www.stitchesofthepast.etsy.com
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »

Brooke and Megan-
  You look so very period perfect. The fit on the dresses is amazing.     Stephanie
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »

Thank you all for your comments and thoughtfulness!  Smiley

And yes, I do put my bangs back the same way.

Brooke and Megan-
  You look so very period perfect. The fit on the dresses is amazing.     Stephanie

Agreed! I love your dresses, Brooke. They're awesome. I thought the exact thing as Miss (Mrs.?) Stephanie while I was looking at the pics!  Grin

Once again, thank you everyone!

Ruth

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »

*blush* Thanks so much, Mrs. Brennan! That's such a wonderful compliment coming from you.  Grin Wink

And many thanks to you as well, Ruth! I've been spending more and more time with some super hardcore peeps...and I have to say itmakes me RRRReally self concious. lol...I realize we have a long way to go, but I am trying..  Smiley

Cool-Born a Yankee, but a Rebel by choice- Cool
                      -Brooke-

My blog: http://stitchesofthepast.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shop:  www.stitchesofthepast.etsy.com
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »

You're very welcome, Miss Whitaker!  Grin

I was wondering... does anyone mind if we turn this thread into a teens' hair thread? I thought it might be nice, because I haven't been able to find any other threads about hair that have been continued.. Smiley

Thanks,

Ruth

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »

Yes, please do add pics of great teen hairstyles! The Whitaker girls always look splendid and lovely!

Ruth, bangs would be highly unusual for the 40s-60s, so if you were planning to grow them out, I'd go ahead. Rolling/twisting, or hair bands, can both help control the longer sorts. If you hair is only to the shoulders, consider wearing it down. If it *will* allow for pinning up, and you're in the 16+ range, then that's an option. If it's very long, but you prefer to wear it non-pinned-up, then go for three-strand braids behind your ears. NO French braids--that's well after our era.

Well-turned out young ladies are an asset to any event!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »

*gasp* Thanks for the comment on french braids, Mrs. Clark!  Shocked My hairstyle I was planning on included one! I'll try to post some pics.  Grin (of a period hairstyle... I guess I'll give up on the french braid.)

Ruth

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

Alright! (no pics yet, but coming soon...I hope!) I've found that this hairstyle works very nicely with bangs...

1. brush your hair and part it with a Y part.
2. put whatever sort of har-grease (as my mom likes to call it) or gel that you like into your bangs and roll them back.
3. braid the two front sections of your Y forming two braids against your face.
4. with the back section of hair, make another braid. (you should now have 3 braids)
5. twist the back braid into a bun and pin it securely.
6. bring the two front braids back, over your ears in a loop and cross them over the bun in the back, pinning them to hold in place and hide any loose ends.
7. add a finishing touch of your own taste. (i.e. flowers tucked in the bun where the two braids cross!  Grin)

Warning: This hairstyle can be very loose and falls out easily if you don't use enough pins... at least it tends to with my hair.

Regards,

Ruth

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »

Another one... Terribly simple, this one. Do a center part, put some glop in your bangs, twist them back and meet them together in the middle back and tie them with a ribbon!  Grin (I got this one off a Masterpiece Theatres BBC production! It's actually in the 1700's and the girl wears a side part, so I just switched it to a center part and made it for a younger girl! Grin)

Hope these are good...(I have pics of this one! Will try to post some...) I wonder if anyone can tell I've been experimenting lately? Shocked

Grin Ruth

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »

Here are some pictures of my hairstyle! I finally got around to uploading them.

Ruth  Smiley

BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

Hey looks pretty good!  You might also want to look on eBay for original photos (daguerreotype, Carte de visite also known as CDV and I'm not too sure about tintypes, they might have been extinct by the 60s, I'm not sure.  As far as I can tell, cdv's were most popular) and look at the hairstyles of the young.  Movies are great and inspire us all, but a lot of hairdos from movies rely heavily on present day techniques and styles.

I think yours should be fine.  I personally have noticed more young girls in original photos either wearing their hair chopped off at the ear lobe (you're a little older than that, I think! Those girls were mostly ten and younger) in sausage curls or just natural with a ribbon headband, in braids that were either down or looped back, and a few that I cannot tell what they are, just strained back very tightly with huge bows blooming behind either ear.  The most common appears to be with a ribbon headband, known, I think, as a fillet of ribbon...but I'm not 100% sure, just that it wasn't called a head-band.

Like this:

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »

WOW! Love #2's braids! Thank you for your compliments!  Embarrassed

Ruth

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »

Here we go... another hairstyle.

1 part hair in the middle the whole way down.
2 roll the hair framing face back and away toward the back pin it right behind the ear
3 continue the roll all the way down the length of your hair and then bring the roll up over the very top of your head
4 pin in place on the other side and repeat the process with the opposite side of hair
5 tuck the ends under the roll coming from the other side and pin in place!

Here's a picture!

Sorry for the yellow lighting! The camera wasn't cooperating very well when close-ups were attempted!

Enjoy!
Ruth

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »

I've got another question!  Shocked A lot of girls are going to just-above-the-shoulder-feathered hair. If I did the same, is there anything period I could do with it? Don't worry, I haven't done anything yet!  Grin

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

You could fuss and cry a lot, but that's about all you can do with a multi-layered cut. It makes for really complex struggles with period hair, unfortunately.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »

Maybe I won't, then! Thanks, Mrs. Clark!  Smiley

Glenna Jo Christen
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

Long hair for young girls was vanishingly rare in our period, which makes me wonder if that picture of the young girl with what looks like Very long and elaborately braided hair is showing real hair or some kind of strange decoration. I know I've never seen anything like it in almost 30 years of research and collecting period photos.
Depending on the age of the girl, sweeping the bangs straight back (and gelling in place) then adding a simple ribbon (black velvet is lovely with a 'best dress' or neutral color plain ribbon for every day.) headband is a good period look as well. This style works well right up through the transition of growing ones hair out in the middle teens to wear it in an adult style. What age that happened depended on community standards for when young ladies were 'mature' along with individual maturity level, both physical and emotional. That means, have you started developing an adult figure, are you interested in attracting the attention of eligible young men, and of great importance in the period, were your parents willing to let you "accept gentlemen callers".

What I Very rarely see are photos of young ladies with hair long enough to put up being worn loose (ringlet curls are not what I would call 'loose' as they are confined into ringlets). The rare exceptions are photos taken to show off the luxurious length of the woman's hair (see the example in the banner photos above.) We have a daguerreotype of a seated young woman that included a handwritten note bragging about her hair, which almost touches the floor in the pose.

To give some idea of the reason for avoiding loose hair once a woman reached 'courting age', I offer a telling quote from a Dickens novel. While British, a less blatant version of this attitude seems to have held sway here too.
Said with a disdainful sniff in reference to a young woman, "Loose hair, loose morals."

And we think we are judgmental today!  Cheesy

Glenna Jo Christen
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

That's interesting... I think that is her real hair... If you look closely near her head it looks like it is. Any others?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: