Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Button Dolls  (Read 4071 times)
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

Okay.  I'm looking for a little help here.  The way I see it button dolls are mid 19th century plausible, but I've not found any extant examples or written accounts of them.  Has anyone else? 

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »

When you say "button doll", what exactly do you mean?

We have a little button doll that looks like a ragdoll but it has strings of buttons for arms and legs.

I did a quick search for "button dolls" and "dolls made of buttons" in google books for 1850-1865 (I'm sure you already checked there but I wanted to check quickly before I replied) and came up with nothing.

The button doll that we have is from a German Folk Artist in our area so perhaps that may help.

Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »

Yes, buttons for arms and legs.  You didn't find anything either huh? 

Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »

Nope. The best I came up with for "button doll" is after 1910. In searching for "doll made of" there were results of cloth, rags, wood, paper mache and porcelain. Sorry, none with button arms.  Sad

Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »

Precisely what I was afraid of...  Sigh... I've been spouting misinformation based on someone telling me it was so.  And they got it undoubtedly from "someone said but I can't remember who but you can't tell me that they COULDN'T have done it!"  Shame on me for assuming they knew better.  Sad

Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

So Miss Heidi you are the one to blame for the button dolls in the gift shop at work....  Secrets revealed on SA..... Grin
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »

Now just a moment, don't think that there wasn't any such thing just because I couldn't find any reference on google books. I'm sure there will be something come up sooner or later.  Wink

Perhaps there is a German word for button doll and a reference in that language?? Or some other??

Beth Chamberlain
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

Have you found any indication that they are even remotely old? I thought they came out of the 1980's/90's "country" decor movement. Kind of as an outgrowth of the spool doll revival. If they are older the magazines from the 80's might mention their origin (just be careful cause the 80's might just have been the heyday of history fabrication)

Beth

Men are made in the image of God. Gentlemen are manufactured by tailors,  barbers, and bootblacks. Woman is the last and most perfect work of God. Ladies are the productions of silk-worms, milliners
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:12 AM »

So are spool dolls OK?

And yes I am imagining smallish wooden spools....

Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »

When I was looking up the button dolls, I also searched for spool dolls hoping that it would help but I found nothing on those either.

While I found references to rag dolls and rolled dolls, most of the instructions on making toys, that I have found, calls for making them as realistic as possible.

Please keep in mind that I in no way think that google books is the "be all, end all". It is simply one really quick resource that I jump to first. Smiley So just because it's not in there doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Grin

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »

When I was looking up the button dolls, I also searched for spool dolls hoping that it would help but I found nothing on those either.

While I found references to rag dolls and rolled dolls, most of the instructions on making toys, that I have found, calls for making them as realistic as possible.

Please keep in mind that I in no way think that google books is the "be all, end all". It is simply one really quick resource that I jump to first. Smiley So just because it's not in there doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Grin

But -- here at the SA we believe that if a period image or description cannot be found that item is not part of our living history stuff!  Cheesy

So we keep checking!

Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Beth Chamberlain
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

I've never researched spool dolls. I'm familiar with them as a Great Depression/WWII era thing. I know there is a 19th century book with directions for doll sized furniture made with spools, I don't remember when it was published as I saw it a long, long time ago, I'll poke around to see if it's been digitized. Given that a large volume of thread was still being sold in hanks, not on spools, in the war years I would kind of be surprised is spool dolls were around yet, at least in any quantity.

Beth

Men are made in the image of God. Gentlemen are manufactured by tailors,  barbers, and bootblacks. Woman is the last and most perfect work of God. Ladies are the productions of silk-worms, milliners
Beth Chamberlain
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »

This isn't the book I remember but it has a complete chapter on making things with spools! - What a girl can make and do, 1903, http://books.google.com/books?id=Wa9iAAAAMAAJ&dq=spool%20doll%20chair&pg=PA236#v=onepage&q=spool%20doll%20chair&f=false

References to furniture made with spools seem to show up in the 1870's but show up in real numbers at the turn of the century. The only refences I am seeing up to that point are to dolls made with one spool adorned to look like a doll or "spool person".

Beth

Donna Rowan
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »

Heidi ,I checked the Colemans "The Collectors Encyclopedia of Dolls' for you. Nothing. Not under buttons,wood, spools, china,folk,homemade, if theres a button doll in there I cant find it. I can swear they both go back to the 1960s as my mom make both button and spool doll's for me, but that's no help really. Sorry.
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

No Paula, the button dolls in the store are not my fault.  But passing on the story I was told about them being used on the Oregon Trail IS my fault.  I only stopped to think about where the documentation was when I was thinking of making a historic information card for the display case of stuff we sell and I realized I couldn't actually give solid documentation for it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: