Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lilac Striped Maternity Dress Plans  (Read 2298 times)
rrbeers
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »

I think I've finally regained my motivation to sew (and enjoy it)! Hurray! With my new-found motivation, I find myself ready to think about sewing my maternity dress out of the lovely FFC Hydrangea Striped Lawn (the same one that our own Sarah Meister made up into her lovely saque and petticoat). 

I think Lilac Striped Lawn is a more appropriate name for color, though. Wink  Whatever you want to call it, it's a LOVELY fabric!

I want to make an adjustable dress, like Miss Elizabeth talks about in her most recent blog post, "Great Expectations".  I'm planning:

• A half-high lining
  • Slight v-neck
  • A drawstring waistband (as mentioned in "Great Expectations" and seen on this dress)
  • I should have plenty of fabric to do a horizontal self-fabric band (or two?) on the skirt plus other self-fabric trimming
  • Gauged skirt
  • These sleeves? Good for war-era events, right? Would I HAVE to wear undersleeves with this style--even though it's a semi-sheer fabric?

How does that sound? Any other design suggestions (especially, suggestions on using the stripes in neat ways)? I'd be more than willing to hear alternative sleeve inspiration.  I would like to stick with something open and airy for summer (and different than the open coat sleeve that I did on my blue semi-sheer dress last year).

Alternate sleeve options:
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5

Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »

I like the sleeves you linked to first, or the alternate example number 1.  I don't believe you have to wear undersleeves with this type of sleeve.  It would kind of defeat the purpose of a semi sheer open sleeve. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
rrbeers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »

Since the skirt is all hemmed and almost read to start gauging, I thought I should be thinking the sleeves through since I anticipate they will be the thing that needs tweaking the most--Don't worry, I will do a muslin (or 12 Tongue). 

I really would like to go with the sleeves that I mentioned in my first post.  I'm assuming the top two puff portions are gathered onto a fitted lining? The full open sleeve looks to me to be one piece/one seam--do you agree?
rrbeers
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »

Skirt is gauged and bodice muslin is done! Hurray for first-time fits! Cheesy Thanks to my toile, of course! Cheesy  On to sleeves!

When I go to hem the sleeves should I do a bias binding or a turned hem or a bound hem or a facing or...?  Cheesy

Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »

Don't know, but I can't wait to see this dress.
rrbeers
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Me either, Paula  Wink  Cheesy Grin
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »

Turned (very small) hem, with a small running stitch through it, is what I've seen.
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »

Concur with what Jessamyn said -- since it's a sheer, you probably don't want lining or facing.  If you're putting trim at the edge, another alternative I've seen is a narrow edge turned UP instead of under, and then the trim applied OVER the raw edge, so it's "one operation."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:20:14 PM by K Krewer » Logged

K Krewer
rrbeers
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

Thanks for your help, Jessamyn and K! The sleeves are done and set! All I have to do is figure out exactly how I'm going to do the twill tape casings/waistband and then it will be nearly done! Cheesy (((SO EXCITED!!!!)))
rrbeers
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »

Finished dress posted here:

http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=4622.msg125954#msg125954
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: