Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a Bible  (Read 14990 times)
Marjorie Bennett
New Scribbler

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »

Donna,  I would love to see images of the bibles is you have time to  post them.  I would love to see shots of the covers, binding method, title page, a page of text, and a side view showing the edges of the papers between the covers.  I'm interested in the methods used at the time for book binding and covering. 

Margie

Marjorie Bennett

"America is a poem in our eyes."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1844
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »

Donna, that sounds like a wonderful find! I too would love to see pictures if you can! 
Brent White
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

I have had GReat luck with finding 1850-870 bibles in thirft stores all have been under $5.00. with this price I have now problem carring them around since I now have about 5 of them around.
Donna Rowan
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »

Humm.. I cant see me carring these around there way to fragile..but consider the source. Wink I suppose had I lived through the war in Colombia S.C. and was that old I would be fragile too. I got the pics taken to day and will try to post tomorrow evening. I do have a little New Testament handed out at Oxford U. in the 1880s that is so sturdy I used to carry it to church  when I was a teen. Just because it was so cool. Back then once a year our church used to hold a contest and give out a prize for the oldest Bible.Every year I'd enter it and every year I'd lose to some one who had a huge old German bible from 1700s or something .Oh well. Grin Oh and "The Gosple of St. Luke..Is The Gosple of St. Luke, not St Luck" Wink
Donna Rowan
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »

Well after almost 3hours of trying to upload ANYTHING to photobucket I have at least most of the pics of the 2 Bibles here  http://s48.photobucket.com/user/basilsgirl/library/ I HOPE you can see them. I tried to wright a discription on most of them. At this point it wont let me do anything else tonight,reminding me once again how much I LOATH Angry the NEW photobucket. If you cant view them let me know and I'll upload them to pintrest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: