Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a Bible  (Read 15477 times)
MissChele
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »

That...might...work! I will have to look more into recovered Bibles and see if that might be an option. I just have major qualms about taking an antique book into the field, so being able to take a more modern Bible and make it look more period would be a good compromise for me. Thanks for sharing!

I have seen two or three period books covered in that fashion, but don't have the documentation (other than my memory) to back it up.

Just tell them that you used the Bible so much you wore the cover off!

MissChele
Marjorie Bennett
New Scribbler

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but I have been reading this with interest. 

Amazon.com has The Septuaging with Apocryphia by Lancelot C. Benton.  According to the comments posted there, the original edition was published in 1851. It is described as showing both the English and the Greek.  That might be a good choice for an Old Testament.  You could cover it with cloth or leather.  I will try to post the link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Septuagint-Apocrypha-Greek-English/dp/0913573442/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339438574&sr=1-1

I haven't bought one yet but am thinking of trying one or for looking for a used copy with some wear.

Margie

Marjorie Bennett

"America is a poem in our eyes."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1844
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:45 AM »

Amazon.com has The Septuagint with Apocrypha by Lancelot C. Benton.

Margie

That is indeed a great find!  However, other than Anglicans & Episcopalians, Protestants in general do not use the Apocrypha.  A while back there was a gentleman posting who portrayed a Catholic priest -- now he needs this book!

A copy of the New Testament was apparently most common.

(I'd be more interested in an interlinear.  Grin )

Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Marjorie Bennett
New Scribbler

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »

Ms. Jean,

Thank you very much for that information.  I appreciate knowing that the book in question would be more appropriate for someone  whose impression is Anglican or  Episcopalian. 

I will be on the look out for a new testiment from the appropriate time period.  :-)

Margie

Marjorie Bennett

"America is a poem in our eyes."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1844
MissChele
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

Here are some views a re-covered leather Psalms, hymns & spiritual songs. It is much earlier that our time periods. The front and back inside covers were redone with what appears to be spirits recipes (mentions hops, Jamaica spirits and yeast) cut down to fit the book and at least one page from the Western Missionary Magazine dated 1804. Title page missing (I promise I do have some with title pages!) The leatherwork is interesting and does not appear to be professional. Notice especially the back cover - there appear to be fish in the corners of the arch.

Front

Clasp

Back - notice the fish?

MissChele
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »

Beautiful! I especially like the clasp.  Grin

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »

I emailed Andy at Fall Creek Sutlery. They currently don't have a supplier for their repro Bibles Sad

If someone was looking for a niche reenacting market to get into, repro Bibles would be a good one!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »

Breakthrough! I got a hint to check Blockade Runner. They currently sell reproduction 1861 American Bible Society New Testaments. They say they are based on an original that they own - the pictures looked good to my eye. I have ordered one and will report back on whether it cuts the mustard once it arrives.

Betsy Connolly
MissChele
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »

Wonderful - please let us know when you get the Bible.

MissChele
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

Will do! I am informed that it will be here on Thursday the 21st.

Betsy Connolly
Donna Rowan
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »

Betsy, did you find one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holy-Bible-1611-King-James-Version-by-Zondervan-Publishing-House-2011-/130713960653?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item1e6f28c0cd  saw this, thought of you.
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Well, I got the New Testament today. I usually don't post reviews on forums or social media, but I'll post my thoughts here for posterity's sake - someone may need to find their own Bible some day!

Size-wise, it's 5" x 3.5". The cover is unembossed fabric stretched over a hard cover - based on what I've seen in my little bit of research, this is plausible but not as common as a leather cover or an embossed fabric cover. "Testament" in gold embossing on the spine.  They say that the font and type size is the same as their original copy, but it looks modern to my eye, something like an Arial or a Calibri, definitely not in keeping with any of the detailed images I can find of American Bible Society New Testaments of the 1860s.

Also, I opened it up and immediately found a typo on the title page.

So, definitely underwhelming, but it would probably go into the "good enough for jazz" category - passable, but it could definitely be better. I have ten days to decide whether or not to return it - what would you all do? It fits the bill, and I'm inclined to keep it, so that I can focus on the rest of the stuff I need to get together for Westville and not have to hunt down a Bible which has the period look but doesn't look old and has the right cover and is the right size in the right translation...

Willing to consider any and all thoughts

Betsy Connolly
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

Okay, just discovered that it's not actually the Gospel of St. Luke, it's the Gospel of St. Luck.

Also, the binding seems mediocre at best, and there's this yellow plasticky part right at the top of the spine.

Very underwhelming.

Betsy Connolly
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 04:24:30 AM »

Betsy, seems that gluing fabric over the cover of a little Gideon Testament & Psalms would produce a similar result...perhaps superior.

No advice, but thanks for serving as guinea pig/canary in the coal mine!

(Try reading The Book of Luck then picking up a lottery ticket???)

Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Mother Dean
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

What other typos are you seeing? Are they things that are usually spelled differently in period literature? I have a copy similar to the one listed earlier in the thread (for the 1611 KJV) and I absolutely love the old spelling. Even when I read the mid-century lady's magazines I come across little things like that. Just curious.  Smiley

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »

I have a question.

Is a leather covered bible with gold dust on the edges of the page and a gold imprinted cross pattern on the front, period? I have a KJV Nelson 883C. It got damaged a while back so I don't have the copyright date on it anymore. The leather is almost like a paperback, so, don't quite know if it's period.

Thanks,

Ruth

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »

If you're going to be reading to someone out of the Bible, and have a Protestant role, be sure it's the Authorized/King James Version and not one of the zillion new translations.  I have one that would pass externally, but it's the "New King James" version, which is considerably modernized.  Of course there were changes made to the Authorized/KJV over the years, but I believe most of them were minor.  

I was wondering about the Blockade Runner replica.  Saint Luck???  I think I'll look elsewhere!  

I like the idea of a cloth cover!  Several members of my church have made their own.  One lady has embroidered "Holy Bible" on her homemade cloth cover.  I'm sure this would be a lovely touch if done in period-appropriate fabric and style (and of course no zipper!).  

I'm Lutheran, of a conservative branch that used the old KJV well into the 1980's. Some of our members still use it.  For funerals, we still always use the "Old" King James version of the 23rd Psalm, which is what you'd most likely be reading to the wounded.  Of course back in the 1860's, nearly all of the Lutheran Bibles would have been Luther's German translation.  It wasn't until World War I (when the use of German was forbidden in many places) that most Lutherans who immigrated in the 19th century changed to English for worship (I don't know about the Pennsylvania Lutherans who came to America much earlier).  My own synod had its origins in Norway and still used primarily Norwegian in its worship services well into the 1920's.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:30:39 PM by MaryDee » Logged
Donna Rowan
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »

Since this was originally posted I picked up 2 old bibles at a 2ND hand store. Both by the 'American Bible Society' the oldest is 1853. The other is 1862. I have no doubt they were from the same family,and the family is southern.The 1853 one has a whole family history in it. They belonged to the family of a Rev. Baker of Colombia, Richland Co, South Carolina. Maybe I'm sentimental,but just think of all the history going on around the family while they sat reading there bibles,and the Rev. preaching from it in the middle of the war. see here http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1865/capture-columbia-south-carolina.htm and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia,_South_Carolina,_in_the_Civil_War   I just couldn't let them go or bear to see them sold seperetly after I started reading them. Especially since I only paid  $2.00s for the 1862 bible and $1.00 for the 1853 bible. I haven't been able to locate anything on the Rev.s family even though I have lots of dates, or have I found how the Bibles got to Ohio. There pretty fragil, but If anyone is interested in what they look like  I can photograph them.
MrsPeebles
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »

My first thought when reading this post, I wondered if the Chestnut's knew the Baker's? Wink
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »

Since this was originally posted I picked up 2 old bibles at a 2ND hand store. Both by the 'American Bible Society' the oldest is 1853. The other is 1862. I have no doubt they were from the same family,and the family is southern.The 1853 one has a whole family history in it. They belonged to the family of a Rev. Baker of Colombia, Richland Co, South Carolina....

I haven't been able to locate anything on the Rev.s family even though I have lots of dates, or have I found how the Bibles got to Ohio.

Try typing some of the names in the Search box here:

https://familysearch.org/search

and see if you find the family.  There are several genealogists on the SA, we'll help you track the Bakers if you'd like.  You local Family History Center will do the same.

Ms. Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: