Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mourning Badge  (Read 1498 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a period correct badge of mourning which could be worn on a man's coat for the early 1860s?


Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus
Offline Offline

Posts: 1054

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »

 Check with the Museum of Confederacy. They have a mourning ribbon worn for Stonewall Jackson. The ribbon looks to be homemade of three strips of ribbon. The middle ribbon has handwritten " In memory of Stonewall Jackson".
   In the past ebay had a nice collection of mourning ribbons up for sale. The ones for are period were white silk with a printed picture of the deceased. The ribbons were all notable historic figures.   Stephanie
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:12:04 PM by Stephanie Brennan » Logged
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus
Offline Offline

Posts: 1389

Tailor at work

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

Looking at your avatar, the following excerpt from the 1861 US Army Regulations may be of interest:

299.  The usual badge of military mourning is a piece of black crape around the left arm, above the elbow, and also upon the sword-hilt; and will be worn when in full or in undress.

300.  As family mourning, crape will be worn by officers (when in uniform) only around the left arm.

I expect CS regulations were similar, but don't have a copy to verify.


Jim Ruley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines