Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to Sew Doll Clothing  (Read 1526 times)
Liana W.
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »

I got a Civility doll for Christmas, and have started the process of learning to sew for her.

I really haven't sewn any Civil War-era clothing before, but I'm reasonably experienced at medieveal (sometimes -ish) garb and costuming, as well as more modern things. I'm not sure I'd call myself an expert seamstress, but I'm not faint-hearted.  So I didn't think sewing for Civility would be too hard.

Hah! 

I started out with a simple gathered petticoat. I think I cut the waistband too short, the skirt itself too long (15" long skirt for an 18" doll? I really should have caught that one!), and the gathering bulked up the waistband surprisingly.

I ripped off the waistband, took out the side seam (I'd made the skirt out of just one panel), and cut a new waistband. Which I pleated onto the waistband for reduced bulk in the waistband. Which is too long this time around.

Fortunately, I finally realized this morning that a bit long in the waistband just means it's not meant to be the innermost petticoat! I can take it out of the naughty corner!

And pleating for a doll. Oh my, even what seems to be tiny errors show up amazingly.  This is definitely a learning experience...

Fortunately, I recovered some of my sanity by making Civility some Japanese clothing. Why Japanese? Because that's what the fabric and my subconscious demanded. IIRC the styles are out of the SA-era, and culturally on the other side of the planet, so I'll leave at linkage to my rather rambling blog entry.
http://www.dracos-otter.com/otter_blog/?p=957
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: