Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailor Shop at Genessee Country Village  (Read 5569 times)
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »

Last weekend I had the privelege of working in an original tailor shop at Genessee Country Village, Mumford, NY.  This building dates to 1849 and is known to have been used by an Irish tailor.  It looks small from the outside, but the front room is an ideal size for a one or two person shop.

The "proprietor" standing in the front door:

Doing a little hand basting while seated on the counter in the traditional sartorial posture:

Here I am basting the interlining into a vest.  Living quarters are in the back.  Sample garments (actually my own stuff) and two items under construction hanging on pegs in the background.

Machining a pocket stay with an 1882 Singer Model 12:

Enjoy,

Jim Ruley
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »

Jim,
It was wonderful knowing you were at home in the tailor shop. I remember how long Stuart wanted to acquire that building. He would have been quite pleased to know you were there bringing it to life so well.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
http://annaworden.wordpress.com/
Straw & Winter Millinery - Available on Etsy
Fanciful Utility: Victorian Sewing Cases & Needle-books
From Field to Fashion: The Straw Bonnet
Catherine Molanphy
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

Thanks for posting, Jim. I had the pleasure of visiting the Tailor Shop at GCV during their War of 1812 weekend at the end of June! I also prefer the cross-legged pose, but alas! I will never be a tailor, and will never be able to sit that way in public in period dress! (For *obvious* reasons...)
rrbeers
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »

Excellent photos! More incentive to go to Mumford next year...
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »

Jim,
It was a pleasure to see you there!  
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »

Lovely! Thanks for posting these, Jim!

Regards,
Elizabeth
NoahBriggs
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »

Really cool pics!  I see you were tapping into your old "table monkey" days!
Joanna Jones
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »

Would someone be able to give some information on the event at Mumford?  Is it every year?  Do many of the Academy members come?

Looking for a road trip next summer but I have to plan waaaaay in advance, like December  Cry

thanks,

Joanna
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »

Those are some of the coolest pictures I've seen in a while. Well done!

Joanna, I'm with you. I make a great co-pilot Cheesy

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »

The event is each year in July. The event info usually comes out in January. It is an invitation only event. We can get you more information on that if you let Bevin or I know you are interested. (Hope that is okay, Bevin.)

Anna Worden Bauersmith
Mary Warren
Dedicated Scribbler

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/marywarns/

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

Joanna & Betsy,  I want to go too.  Let's carpool!  I've got a car with plenty of room.

Mary Warren

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.?  ?  ?  Thomas Jefferson
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »

The event is each year in July. The event info usually comes out in January. It is an invitation only event. We can get you more information on that if you let Bevin or I know you are interested. (Hope that is okay, Bevin.)

Anna/Bevin -

Is it usually held the same weekend in July, i.e. the second weekend or the third weekend, etc?  I've wanted to come to this event for years and received a special invitation several years ago.  Unfortunately, the information has always arrived much too late to fit it into my calendar.  Sad

Like Joanna, I have to plan waaaaaay in advance.  I'd love to have even a tentative date as soon as possible so I can request leave from my 21st century job (our 2012 requests have to be in 9-12 months in advance due to an impending FCC deadline), and so I don't schedule a 2012 class the same weekend (the 2012 schedule for Gettysburg classes has to be finalized by August 10 this year). 

I realize the date could change, that it's an invitation-only event, and I may not get invited; but it would be very helpful to have a tentative date for those of us who need to plan accordingly.  Smiley

Regards,
Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Joanna Jones
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »

Carolann - YOU?  Not invited?  Pu-lease!
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »

I never count my chickens before they're hatched.  Smiley  Wink  Smiley

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »

I've just discovered -- to my shock -- that this site is closer to my "new" Michigan home than going back to Illinois -- less than 6 hours across Canada.  And Toronto is only 4 - ish hours.  Whodathunk?   Clearly I have some exploring to do.....

K Krewer
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »

I am glad there is so much interest. I've been fond of this village since I was little. Over the past couple years there have been steady changes in accessible, interactive programs/interpretation. I'll find out if it will be the second or third weekend this next year. The weekend was adjusted this year due to the anniversary event for Manassas.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
NanciG
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

Wow, those photos are great!  Jim, what kind of sewing machine are you using in the picture?

Nanci Gasiel
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »

The machine is a Singer Model 12.  This was known as the "New Family" model and was first produced in 1863 or 65, depending on the source Smiley.  According to the serial number, this particular one was made in 1882.  I equipped it with an 1890's style bobbin winder so as not to need three hands for that operation, and the crank is a later style as well.  The previous owner was using it for a table centerpiece before putting it on e-bay.  Despite all it's been through it sews quite well.

Here are a couple of photos (with the original treadle style bobbin winder):

Singer made a similar but larger Model 13 "Medium" which would be more appropriate for a tailor, but they seem to be quite rare.  Maybe some day...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:11:34 PM by Jim_Ruley » Logged
Denise Butler
Scribblor Infinitus

Welcome to the home of Matilda Joslyn Gage!

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

Mr. Ruley, thank you for posting the pictures! It was also a pleasure seeing you in the shop; you looked very much at home - although I suspect that had something to do with finding you in the "traditional sartorial position."

You don't need an invitation to visit GCV during the CW weekend... I went as a guest, just to enjoy the day and see if I could say hello to fellow forumites that I thought would be there. It is a wonderful historic village.

Regards,
Denise
KymR
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »

I can't say enough about Mumford, I was so lucky to be a part of this years events.  Unfortunately I did not make it in to see Jim's work, and I am not sure how I missed that.  I took my kids to Colonial Williamsburg for the first time last year and they called it "the Big Mumford" (different time, I know  Smiley) but somehow I find the size to be rather similar.  It is quite a gem.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: