Single vs. Double Layer Corset

(1/4) > >>

mr.darcy1:
Hello,

I drafted out the 1844 corset from Corsets and Crinolines and need to put it together quickly for a event next weekend.  What would be the drawbacks if I made it a single layer corset and not a double?  I only have enough coutille for the outside and I have plenty of stay tape for bone casings.  Should I go ahead and put a lining in or not?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Chandra Miller

bevinmacrae:
I've worn both single layer and double layer corsets and I don't see any drawbacks to making a singlae layer one. If the fabric is good, it won't stretch at all. Be sure to add the tape along the waistline, though. I usually only make it a double layer one if I intend to put in cording or quilting. Otherwise, single layer works just fine, in my experience.
~bevin

Sarah Jane Meister:
My first corset was made single-layer style from Period Impressions Light French Corset pattern (seven years ago, my gosh!) and I wore that thing til I lost my slim and slender boyish figure and advanced in maturity to a more rotund style. It was extremely comfortable and much cooler than the 3 double layer corsets I have worn since then. (Actually I just make them double layer because it's easier for me to put together and I'm too lazy to make another single-layer). The only problem I had with making the single-layer was felling the curved seams of the corset - and I still have trouble with that. Otherwise, it was a great corset!

Sarah

RebekahW:
How does a single layer corset work?  I thought corsets were all double layered so you could sandwich the boning or cording between the layers.

Acacia:
Interestingly enough, I just had a conversation with a friend about the preferences of single and double-layered corsets.  We finally agreed to disagree.  ;)

Both of us are curvy ladies.  I REALLY prefer the single layer corset.  I don't bother trying to fell the seams as I use boning tape to cover all seams inside the corset.  I use the waist stay tape that Bevin suggests.  I like the clean look of the single layer and the less bulk.  I've never had a problem with any of my single layer corsets.

My friend on the other hand, prefers a double layer corset.  She says even with boning tape, she has found the bones work themselves through the single layer corsets she's made.  She wondered if she put her corsets under more stress than I do - perhaps laces tighter?  So after a few experiences with single layer corsets essentially falling apart, she always makes double layer corsets.

So I guess it simply comes down to preferences.  If you’ve never made a single layer corset before, I suggest you give it a try and see if you like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page