Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demorest Treadle Sewing Machine (Lots of Pictures!)  (Read 4449 times)
Denise Butler
Scribblor Infinitus

Welcome to the home of Matilda Joslyn Gage!

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »

Where is the bobbin case and the other bobbin case door? You need both to use this machine.

Regards,
Denise
Bethany K.
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »

The bobbin case and bobbin case door are in the drawer.  Never fear, I will put them in before I try to sew anything!   Grin

I can also see the outline of the decals, will they show up with WD-40?  That would be great!
tennviv
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »

After cleaning and rehabbing several treadles and hand cranks, I've found GOOP Hand Cleaner to be best. Make sure it is the kind WITHOUT PUMICE.  Massage some onto the machine, wipe off with a cloth rag, repeat until clean. WD-40 will lift the decals especially on the old Singers. Liquid Wrench is good for the gears inside the pillar and underneath. DON'T clean the outside with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench unless you know the decals are bad already. I was working on one recently and thought the decals were gone. Turns out they were under a really thick layer of grease and grime.  Shocked  When you are done cleaning, a good coat of old fashioned Johnsons Floor Wax will keep it looking nice and protect the finish. If you use car wax, make sure it is carnuba wax and doesn't contain any cleaner or grit.

Lisa Earle
Western Ky
Proud mama of (currently) 4 treadles, 3 hand cranks, and 2 modern sewing machines!

Lisa Mullins
Western Ky
Denise Butler
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »

The bobbin case and bobbin case door are in the drawer. 

Good to hear! I asked because those two parts often come up missing. My local OSMG told me about many would-be antique sewing machine owner/operators who paid dearly for a machine, spent hours cleaning it up, scoured around for a belt and then spent a lot of time trying to get the belt right, only to find that the machines didn't have two very important parts.

The OSMG cleaned my machine, inside and out, by submerging it in kerosene. It dissolves the years and years of grunge but doesn't hurt the decals. Liquid Wrench is a good product; I used it when I first got the machine.

I didn't know about the carnuba car wax. I'll have to get some.  Grin

Regards,
Denise
tennviv
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »

A kerosene bath is great if the gears are rusted and frozen, too. Soak for a day, try to move the wheel by hand, repeat until it moves freely. If you go the kerosene route, just use LOTS of CAUTION!

Lisa Earle
Western Ky

Lisa Mullins
Western Ky
Bethany K.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »

The machine has a belt, but it's so dry rotted that it broke after working the pedal for a little while.  At least I know all the gears work.

What's OSMG?  Old Sewing Machine Guy?   Cheesy
Denise Butler
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »

What's OSMG?  Old Sewing Machine Guy?   Cheesy

OSMG does indeed mean Old Sewing Machine Guy...

or in some cases:

Old Sewing Machine God

Mine falls in to the latter category... amazing wealth of knowledge, shop stuffed to the gills with amazing old machines that sparkle and hum... among the last of a dying breed.

Regards,
Denise
Bethany K.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »

Resurrecting this thread to ask, where on earth do I find a thread guide??!  Huh 
tennviv
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

Bethany,

Try eBay, your local OSMG, and www.treadleon.net    The Onions (their play on the name) at TreadleOn collect, rehab, etc all sorts of machines and parts. If anybody
would have one, it would be those folks.

Lisa Earle
Currently looking at 5 treadles and 3 handcranks . . .

Lisa Mullins
Western Ky
Bethany K.
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

Thanks, I emailed Captain Dick at Treadleon and he gave me someone to contact.  If anyone comes across a Demorest thread guide, please let me know! 

I don't have an OSMG, I need to borrow someone else's.  Wink
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 05:14:16 AM »

Here is another good resource:

http://needlebar.org/bb2/index.php

They are more about collecting than using old machines, but someone might be able to help find the part you need.  I'm sure they'd be interested in pictures of your machine.

Hope this helps,

Jim Ruley
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 05:18:46 AM »

This guy has been very helpful with spare parts for old Singer machines:

http://www.wolfegangscollectibles.com/index.htm

Whether he has anything for a Demorest I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Jim R.
Bethany K.
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »

Yesterday my awesome Dad rigged me up a wire thread guide for my machine, and, after figuring out all the threading, winding, and placing, I was able to sew on my machine!  (Pictures are on my blog.)

I was having a lot of trouble with my thread breaking every time I'd try to sew, but then I discovered that I was turning the hand wheel the wrong way to start.  Reading the directions really helps, y'know?  Roll Eyes

Donna Rowan
Veteran Scribbler

tintype by Wendell Decker

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »

Any one know where we can find parts for a Minnesota C ?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: