Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Immersion Event - Advice  (Read 4590 times)
CL Preston
New Scribbler

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »

I really appreciate this information. I will be attending this same event too (if I can get everyone's clothes done in time!) and it will also be my first.

I have a question, though. What is the difference between semi-immersion and full immersion, in this context?

We are in line for Minnesota's blizzard anytime now, so I'll be spending tomorrow making underpinnings for two little girls...

Carrie Preston
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »

In this context, the event is semi-immersion because the Fort is right next to the airport and a couple highways - you cannot escape the airplanes going by over head and the noise of traffic (though the stone walls of the fort keep most of the noise out). However, there will be no public allowed, and standards of dress my all attendees are very high.

(Speaking of the blizzard, I took my dog outside to play earlier. The snow was up past my knees - almost 20". That was four hours ago. Good luck, Carrie!)

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

A brief word in Noah's defense: I have heard him deliver his "no reason to sterilize" blurb upon several occasions and it doesn't come out as snarky and abrupt as he notated it here... and is always followed by a discourse on how instruments were cleaned and cared for.

His point about getting the public to think about their questions in a different way is quite correct, the manner of doing so varies by the historian. Just as getting the living historians who wander off first person back on track by leading questions is a valid technique, but may seem to some like we are making cruel fun of another historian who "doesn't get it".

Advice for First Person Immersion:
 Do the HOMEWORK beforehand, including character bio, refresh general knowledge, research event specific knowledge, the character bios of others. (You have a good start on that here already  Smiley )When someone posts something pertaining to their character, READ it.. don't dismiss it out-of-hand because you think you wouldn't interact with that person. If you are planning something that makes your character unique or you need the other participants to understand something about your character... post a blurb about it, share your research about it, encourage discourse about it... so that the other participants can understand where you are coming from and are less likely to call you out on a "research foul" at the event where your research is out of reach. Once you are at the event, adhere to the motto, "Semper Gumby" (always flexible). Flubs will happen, by you and others. Be forgiving of others (within reason) and don't beat up on yourself. Cover them as best you can at the moment and then let them pass. Remember that phrases "I don't know. I'll find out. Tell me more about that." are valid answers. You are not ALONE in this endeavor, the other participants can and will help you, just as you will do for them.
Progression is a journey, not a destination.

Joanna Jones
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »

Thanks, Elaine, for the encouragement. I Like the phrase "Semper Gumby" - good advice for all of life!
Kennesa Goff
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »

O.K. Dragging this back from the past...
I thought this was very good advice for the beginning reenactor's first immersion event. Westville will be my first immersion event, so I was very happy to find this thread...

I was relieved to find that even though you work really hard at something like this, or have been doing it for years, "flubs" still happen. I am going to work really hard, and do my research, so that I can be the best representation of the past as I can be, but I was very nervous about totally messing up. This has put my mind at ease, (mostly).

I would love to hear from anyone who went to the last two Westville events, so that they can add to this info and help me have a better understanding of what this event is going to be like.

(And I hope you don't mind me dredging this back up...)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: