Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starching a cotton dress.  (Read 999 times)
Susanna Kocher
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »

I have a quick question which I have not been able to find the answer to via searching.

Can I starch the skirt on a light colored, cotton day dress? I'd like to wear it to an outdoor event but I'm worried about the hem becoming stained if it's muddy.  I know that starching petticoats helps keep the dirt from penetrating the fibers, so I'd like to starch the hem of my dress.
Veronica Carey
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »

I don't have a documented answer but I say do it!  I would starch the entire skirt part and you will get extra protection and definitely extra pouf!  I now heavily starch my white cotton apron, and when I put in on over corded petti, top petti and dress, it really adds to the bell shape.

Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage.  Anais Nin
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:27:39 AM »

Just make sure that when you starch your skirt you aren't starching it so much that you create stiff folds to the skirt.  I find the spray starch you get in the can at the store to be about as heavy as you'd want to go.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Marta Vincent
Scribblor Infinitus

Occupational Tintype by Todd Harrington 8/09

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »

I starch my sheers after I was them.  Just the skirt.

Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »

I used to starch my cotton dress for added poof,  the poof didn't last ages, but it sure kept it ironed longer.

Twin Owls Workshops
Fun Day Smarter.
Katherina Graham
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »

Yes, I agree, I'd go with starch.
 When I used to wear aprons daily I swore by starching even though some thought it was ridiculous. It really is a armor against dirt, my aprons stayed so much cleaner then before in their un-starched state.... I also starched my shirts, skirts, boys hats, overalls, and I don't know what all else, after I found out how well it worked. It helped {surprisingly} with my brothers wool hat brim that had a habit of floppong around his face....
Kate
Joanna Jones
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »

I have always starched my cotton wash dress - with the liquid dip starch - and it not only keeps cleaner, and has much more body; it looks neater for another wearing or two.
Marta Vincent
Scribblor Infinitus

Occupational Tintype by Todd Harrington 8/09

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:26:59 AM »

...and part of the secret of having your wash dress looking nice longer is to...not wash it  Wink(so often).  We moderns tend to wear an item once & toss it into the wash.  19th century laundry facilities being what they were, clothing was not washed all that often.  Unless I end up dumping something disgusting down my front, or having mud up to my knees, my dresses get aired & brushed if necessary - and 'spotted' as needed.  I may launder or dry clean once a season and NEVER dry in the dryer!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: