Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is linen so expensive?  (Read 4275 times)
LissaWilson
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: June 13, 2010, 01:57:56 PM »

Can anyone tell me why linen is so stinkin' expensive? Are they using Big Oil to make it or something?

I've got several aprons to make, but at $9.50-$14.99 per yard, linen is not looking so appealing (I only spend that much on silk!). Is linen really that much better for aprons than cotton? Worth it enough to fork out the extra $ for linen?

The principal mark of civilization for a woman is invariably the crinoline. - C. Baudelaire (1859).

http://fairprospect.blogspot.com
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Its the cost of growing, processing, manufacturing.  Its not that widely used a fiber anymore so its not as mass produced as something like cotton would be.  For the 1860's cotton print for dirty work and fine white cotton or silk aprons to wear while doing needle work or being showy.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »

It's very labor intensive stuff.

Not everything needs to be linen, though. I like the non-souring, fast-drying properties of it, but if you're not having trouble with a cotton check, go right ahead and use it! It's still within the range of "normal", just with different properties than a linen apron check.

If you're using white, check flea markets for bargains on plain vintage linen tablecloths--that can be a good way to get kitchen towels and napkins, anyhow--cutting up a damaged larger piece.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Hannah G.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »

Hello All, my first post here (been lurking for months, though).

Lissa, try fabrics-store.com.  REALLY good prices on 100% linen!
Jennifer Hill
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »

Yes, indeed.  Very labour intensive.  Go here:

http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/aa97/aa072397.htm

I hope to get a patch going for the Trail Ctr, but they are still of the mindset that prep for the Trail isn't THE TRAIL.   Wink 

Maybe, I'll just have some going here at the house, but it is still cold, wet & snowy.  Jennifer

Jennifer Hill
at the West end of the Hastings Cutoff on the California Trail
"Don't take no cutoffs"
Stormi Souter
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

A second hardy recommendation for fabric-store.com. Great prices, and their linen is lovely!

Stormi Souter
www.whynotthen.com
MrsPeebles
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:13:20 AM »

My goodness, I thought those prices were low! I sometimes paid higher prices wholesale for linen, and much depends on the grade, quality, width, and weave. Linen will far outlast cotton, can be burnt or stained and will bleach white again, and can only be surpassed with durability and strength by hemp cloth.
Two months ago we received our first JoAnn's super store, and while there I noticed some fantastic linen bolts, in a wide range of colors and weaves, and all at very reasonable prices, sometimes phenomenal prices! Even better if you use a coupon! Wink
Honestly, I'd not be too upset paying $15 a yard, it's very cheap IMHO, and even in this low economy.

Mfr,
Judith Peebles

BOOKS! The Original Search Engine.
Life is short, so read fast.
Remember, the words you read today are the words you say tomorrow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: