Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeVere on a Disk  (Read 4995 times)
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« on: March 13, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »

Dear Forumites,

As most here know by now, I'm a big fan of Louis DeVere's 1866 "Handbook of Practical Cutting on the Centre Point System".  This is one of very few 19th-century pattern drafting systems that is easy to learn and practical for use.

This book used to be readily available in reprint from R. L. Shep, Mendocino, CA.  Unfortunately they sold out of copies a couple of years ago and have made the decision not to run it again.  Sharpshooters have been demanding exhorbitant prices for the few remaining copies ever since.

I was lucky to find an original copy for a reasonable price.  It looks like this:

I believe resources should be shared, so I am offering scanned copies of the book on CD.  In addition to all the original text and plates, I'm including a set of graduated rulers you can print out, and the calculation worksheets for "drafting by the common inch" from my Conference workshops.  I am only offering this as a package deal, the rulers and worksheets are not available separately.

My introductory price is $10, including shipping within the continental US.  Check or money order only please.  For full details please send me an e-mail at garlough@woh.rr.com.

This book will not answer all your questions, but it will give you a solid foundation for 1860's pattern drafting.  I hope it will be of service to many.

Best regards,

Jim Ruley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:23:01 PM by Jim_Ruley » Logged
Mary Warren
Dedicated Scribbler

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/marywarns/

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »

Mr. Ruley,

I don't believe the PM function is working on the forum right now.  May I ask what you'll be charging for your CD?

Mary Warren

Mary Warren

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.?  ?  ?  Thomas Jefferson
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

Mr Ruley, I'm still plugging through updates and fixes, and have the PM system shut off for the time being... but I don't mind at all if you would like to put details as to how to get a disc version right here. Smiley One good thing about being the board owner is getting to flex my own rules now and then.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Jennifer Hill
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »

I, too, am interested in the cd, but need to know the price.  Is it just for men's clothing?  [Even if it is, I'm sure I would learn so much as to make it very useful.]  Jennifer
kaygnagey
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51:43 AM »

oh, please!

KG
Lady_Irish
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:47 AM »

Definitely interested!!! Just tell me when and how much! Grin Thanks, Mr. Ruley, for offering to put this together! How exciting!
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »

I, too, am interested. Thank you, sir!
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »

Mr. Ruley,
I would be very interested in obtaining a copy also.  Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and skills in working with this system. 
Malinda Byrne

Malinda Byrne
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.  I've updated the original post with the price and ordering info so it would be at the top of the page.  Didn't want to put my address in a public forum so you will still need to send me an e-mail.

To answer Jennifer's question, the only ladies clothing included is riding habits and a few cloaks.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jennifer Hill
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »

However, it will teach me the basics of pattern drafting?  That is great; the rest can be learned in classes or by getting more books!  Thanks.  Jennifer
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »

However, it will teach me the basics of pattern drafting?  That is great; the rest can be learned in classes or by getting more books!  Thanks.  Jennifer

The book will teach you DeVere's approach to pattern drafting.  It's written for cutters (who both made patterns and cut garments from cloth), who generally apprenticed as tailors before moving on to cutting.  So, it assumes the student is generally familiar with the different styles of men's garments and how they are put together.

For its time period, this is one of the easiest systems to learn.  The basic drafts are done in a "square" (really a rectangle) where various points are located, then joined by straight lines and smooth curves.  Many other systems require you to "sweep" (draw large arcs) to located points, or draw some pieces, then cut them out and move them around to draw others.  DeVere tries to keep this to a minimum.

There really aren't any other books available on this system, and the best teacher is experience.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Vicki
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »

This is awesome!
Jennifer Hill
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

Thank you so much, Jim.  Mine arrived quickly; I'm slow at getting back to you. 
I haven't had 5 min to look at it, but definitely looking forward to it.
I want a coat.  A long, warm, wool coat.  Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: