Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crowing about Crowning Glory  (Read 89497 times)
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: December 03, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »

Since hair styles can make or break things, please feel free to post your shots (front/back/sides) of successful, period-appropriate "do" options! (Please do keep them as period as possible, ie: can be done without gels, scrunchies, etc. False hair is 100% okay.)

We've also had a request to please put the year span for individual styles--we do span 1840 to 1865, so anything within it is fair game, but it helps to be able to pinpoint which precise window it might work best in. Smiley

Also, if you're taking your inspiration from an on-line accessible image, or from an original picture you can post along with the "repro", that's always fantastic!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:47:40 AM by Elizabeth » Logged

Regards,
Elizabeth
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »

Ok, I'll take the plunge.  This is my current hairstyle, and I'm pretty happy with it.  My hair is hip-length, and my bangs are long enough that I braid them into the braids on each side.  No gunk of any kind, just hairpins, and sometimes a little oil if my hair is REALLY not cooperating. And the year span is 1860-64.

I took some of the inspiration from this drawing of Queen Victoria for the way the braids were done.  This hairdo is an amalgamation of lots of different ones I liked.   I really like the side braid thing, but how to do it?  So I did a y-part close to the back of the head and braided the two sides high up on either side.  I did a backwards braid, meaning I put the strands under each other instead of over, because if you look at Queen Victoria her braid looks weird, and I think that's why.  Anyway, it looks right if I do it upside down. Cheesy

This CDV is one of my others. 

I like how thick her braids are!

So here's me:

Back

side (please ignore the ill-fitting bodice...)

Front

enjoy!

-B
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:19:39 AM by BethT » Logged

Gen. 3:21
The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Thus began fashion.
SarahA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:03:44 AM »

Last night I put my front hair in curlers on a whim, wanting to see how I'd look in an early 1840's hairstyle. It turned out tolerably well (though I think I look a bit silly), so I thougth I should expose myself to your criticism  Wink

Period examples can be seen in these pictures:

And here's my version:

The back hair is braided and coiled into a bun (my hair is evidently not as thick and/or long as in the pictures). The front hair was wound damp round pieces of cloth overnight. They are a wee bit too long for my taste, but I've seen period examples as long as mine, so I suppose they're ok. I've used nothing to smooth or shape the hair but water. It looks sort of pretty from the side, but downright silly from the front, so I won't show you that  Tongue  I think I prefer the smooth, cover-the-ears look better... at least on me. Some women look lovely in long curls framing the face. It might have something to do with the shape of the face, I suppose.
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »

Aw, too bad you wouldn't show the front!  I like the curls!  They look really right to me!  Nice job.

Thus began fashion.
Marta Vincent
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »

The side curls are lovely; but definitely 1840's/50's.  Both of the photos you show are from that period.  So if you are doing Civil War era you'd be considered "old fashioned".  However, if you like ringlets, you can wear them off center to one side of the back for evening wear in the '60's.  And don't forget:  They used a lot of fake hair to make it look as if they had thick, luxuriant hair.
SarahA
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »

Well, the plan was to look early 1840s (one of my favourite periods), so that's good then.  Grin  I didn't write it in my first post, but the first picture is from c. 1840 and the second from 1844. With some practice I think I could make the hair better, this was my first try.

Oh, and I don't re-enact 19th century at all  Cry (I suppose it's not an interesting enough period here in Sweden... it's all viking and medieval), I just research, and make the clothes and hair for fun.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:45:45 AM by SarahA » Logged
Marta Vincent
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »

Oh, then enjoy your ringlets!  I think they are very cute, and becoming to you.  Grin
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

Beth, that first picture you posted of Queen Victoria's braids is actually 1840s.  That's exactly how I wear my hair for Oregon Trail stuff.  Queen Victoria was quite young when that picture was drawn. 

Excellent example though!  I'd actually been looking for a side shot of her hair which would show how the back hair was done. 

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 07:28:08 AM »

Probably the biggest difference between 1840s and later braided styles is that you never see the back of the ear in later styles; the braid is kept in contact with the other hair, rather than doing a suspension-bridge trick!

I agree, it is very cool to be able to see the side of QV's hair.
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »

Hey DOES anyone have any pictures of side hair?  I took the 1840s drawing of Queen Bess because I could actually see somewhat how the braids were being done and attached.  I have pictures of rolled back hair from the back, but not braided, and my hair is extremely curly and does better with a braid than a roll-back.  It is NOT smooth when I roll it.  It has a nice curly look, but that's not the look I'm going for.  Is my hair too suspension-y?  Grin 

Thus began fashion.
KayAllen
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »

Queen Vickie, right?   Grin

Kay A.
BethT
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »

Mrs. Brown. Cheesy

Thus began fashion.
Fiddlin Girl
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »

BethT and SarahA,

Wow, the styles look great!!! I am SO glad y'all posted some pictures. I can't wait to see what everyone else posts on here.... I think Brooke might... Wink  Hope she does!! Grin Roll Eyes Tongue I want to try some of these styles on my friends tonight.. see how it goes, and maybe I will post pictures...
Lady_Irish
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »

Here are some pictures of a new hairdo I tried today. It's just parted from top to each ear. Then the back is bound into a ponytail and sectioned off into three pieces. Each piece is twisted until it starts to coil in on itself. Then they are pinned wherever they fall. The front sections are loosely braided then wound around the twisty bun in back. I have a hairnet to keep all the ends neat and tidy. How does it look?? *nervous smile*

A side note:  My hair is rather thick with a bit of wave to it. It goes past my waist by about three inches. If anyone has any other ideas for heavy, thick, long hair???  Huh  Smiley
EFAldridge
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »

My hair from the back. Ms Shannon Ball did it for me. It's parted down the center, braids coming off either side and wrapping around the bottom at the nape of the neck.  Top part of the back has been wrapped around a long sausage shaped rat and the excess pieces braided and wrapped around the rat as well. Hair is thick and is about as long as mid back. It was then put into a decorative hair net.
Equipment used- small amount of pomade in the front to hold down excess fly aways. Bobby pins both large and small (about 10). 1 large sausage shaped rat.

Elizabeth F Aldridge

www.aldridgeclothiers.com

Gather, Chintz, Repleat.
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

EFAldridge: Do you know if the style would be possible with out the rat?  Grin

Cool-Born a Yankee, but a Rebel by choice- Cool
                      -Brooke-

My blog: http://stitchesofthepast.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shop:  www.stitchesofthepast.etsy.com
Marta Vincent
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »

Brooke, possible, but it won't be as "dimensional".  You can make your own rat by collecting your combings and eventually wrapping your rat in an invisible hairnet. 
Denise Butler
Scribblor Infinitus

Welcome to the home of Matilda Joslyn Gage!

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »

I found a china hair receiver at a flea market and use that to collect my hair. The process of poking in the hair through the center hole makes very neat, compact hair rats that do not need to be put into a hair net. I've gotten 5 rats in less than a year.

Regards,
Denise
Victoria Pann
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »

An empty Kleenex box or a clean sandwich baggy works well too.

Victoria Pann
Fort Nisqually Historical Interpreter
Washington State
http://victoriapann.blogspot.com
EFAldridge
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

Ms Brooke,
It's possible the rat give the hair fullness and dimension. It's not hard to put in. The one that I have is something that I picked up at the local Sally Beauty Supply. It's made of a fine mesh material. Although, you could most certainly make it from your own hair. Start by pulling the hair out of your hairbrush. You'll have a good start there.

Lady Irish (sorry don't know your first name)- I really like way it all comes together in the back.
~Elizabeth
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:08:25 PM by EFAldridge » Logged

Elizabeth F Aldridge

www.aldridgeclothiers.com

Gather, Chintz, Repleat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: