Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enlarging a bodice pattern  (Read 715 times)
Christy Smith
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »

So I learned a lot from making my last dress; for example, I am not creative or patient.   Grin   

My attempt at making my own toile and bodice did not go well at all.  I am hoping that, as I gain experience, I will soon be making fabulous bodices.  I am lucky to see Trish Hasenmuller often, and she will be able to give me tips on my sick bodice.

In the meantime, I did order some wool to make a dress for the holiday season.  I have been thinking about making this bodice from a pattern, and have been weighing the Laughing Moon Round Dress pattern, and the Truly Victorian 1861 Bodice.   There is just one problem: I am larger than the largest sizes in both of them.  Is this something that can be remedied?   It may be addressed in Elizabeth's books, which I do not have here at work. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for other patterns?  I don't want to mess up my pretty brown wool.   Smiley
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »

Christy,
  What you need to do is grade the pattern to a larger size.  The method described in this threads article should give you a good start.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4424/quick-reference-for-cut-and-spread-pattern-grading

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »

Also, don't mess up your pretty brown wool - make a toile! I can't emphasize enough how important it is to work the kinks out of any pattern with cheap muslin (or old sheets, or whatever) before cutting into your good fabric. It is so worth the bit of extra time.
Christy Smith
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »

Oh wow!  Thank  you so much - this article is perfect.   I figured there had to be a way to make it bigger.   Now I need to decide between the patterns (or get both) and a bunch of cheap muslin.     

I will admit that I skipped from toile to bodice on the one that didn't work.  I bet you're not surprised.   Another lesson learned the hard way.   Roll Eyes
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »

Always do a muslin.  None of us looks like a dress form.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Christy Smith
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »

In my case, I think I could use a barrel as a dress form.   Grin
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »

Christy if you use the LM Round dress... I found that for me it seemed to run a little on the large size.  Just a heads up.
Christy Smith
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »

Ooh - thanks Paula!  I made their Dore Corset a couple of months ago, and I bought the size extenders for the pattern.   I ended up not needing them after all.   I was wondering if their dress pattern ran that large.  Maybe I will give it a try.  I have been looking at original CDVs trying to tell if a solid brown wool would be appropriate for a separate bodice like the Truly Victorian one.   The LM Dress might be a better choice for the fabric. 
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »

I really liked the LM pattern.  And my dress too, until well ummm....  I decided that the fabric really was pretty bad and I'd like to try to drape my own toile and... well you get the point.  Grin

But now my dress has gone to the home of someone who needs a less accurate fabric and will be used this summer on a "trek."  So I feel pretty good about the attempt. 
Christy Smith
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »

I did have a well fitted toile several years ago, from which I made a wonderful black dress with a box pleated skirt.  It was heavenly - until I put on weight.  That toile was made in an all-day sewing group with an instructor who knew what she was doing.  I still have it....Maybe I should lose weight to fit it again, or try to make a muslin from it.  Do you think when you gain weight it's proportional, or maybe the sands of time have shifted?    Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: