Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knitted hoods for kids?  (Read 6013 times)
annmaddox
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »

Are knitted hoods appropriate for children?
It seems it could be very simple to adjust an adult pattern to child's scale.
Just wondering if anyone has actually seen proof of such?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »

Short answer: yes, they are.

I've got a few links to extant children's hoods in my files and will post them later, when I get back from voting.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:15:06 PM »

And I'll also chime in saying this is one place you will also see crocheted hoods..for children.  Since they are smaller and do not take as much wool, it seems that you can either knit or crochet children's hoods pretty much equally, as opposed to adult hoods, where the majority are knitted.

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
dlccivil
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:46:20 AM »

Elizabeth,

Did you post those links or am I just going crazy?  I am the one you have been talking to about knitting a bonnet for my 2 girls.  I found a pattern in a book.  It looks easy, but as you know looks can be decieving.  If anyone can help I would be over joyed for your advice.

Dawn
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 04:03:56 PM »

Bad Liz did her civic duty, and forgot to link.  Smiley  I'll work on that tonight before my meeting if I can get this toddler to take the rest of her nap. Smiley

Regards,
Elizabeth
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »

Elizabeth,

Did you post those links or am I just going crazy?  I am the one you have been talking to about knitting a bonnet for my 2 girls.  I found a pattern in a book.  It looks easy, but as you know looks can be decieving.  If anyone can help I would be over joyed for your advice.

Dawn

Can you post the directions? Maybe we can help.

Colleen

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Dannielle Perry
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:16:46 AM »

April 1859 Peterson's has this one.

Materials. - 1 oz. white single zephyr, 2 oz. colored single zephyr, pair small bone needles, pair large wooden needles.

On the small needles, and with the white wool, cast on 125 stitches. Knit 10 rows plain.  Join the colored wool, kint 11th row plain, 12th purl, 13th plain, 14th purl, observing to narrow once at the beginning of every row.  Join the white wool.  Knit same as colored stripe just described.  100 rows completes the head piece.  Narrowing once at the beginning of every row will make it the perfect shape.

For the border. - Cast on 6 stitches.  knit 1st row plain. 
2nd Row. - Put the right hand needle into the 1st stitch, then work the thread four times around the needles.  Knit these loops into the 1st stich.  Repeat to the end of the row.  3rd row plain, 4th same as 2nd.  Knit a piece long enough for the face of hood, making 4 rows of loops colored, 4 rows white.

For the Cape. - Use the large needles, and with the colored wool cast on 164 stiches.  Knit 1st row plain.  2nd row, 1st stich off without knitting.  Narrow 5 time, *thread forward knit 1-thread forward knit1-thread forward knit 1-thread forward knit 1-thread forward narrow 5 times*. Repeat to the end of needle. 3rd row plain.  Knit 10 pattern rows - bind off.
A second cape is to be knit same as the 1st one, to be sewed a little above the other as seen in te drawing.  Finish with ribbon strings.  Cord and tassels to draw at the back of hood. 

I haven't tried this one, so I am not sure what they mean by small needles.  The best thing to do would be to gauge the pattern according to your wool and how you want it to fit.  I would suggest a rather fine wool because I have done the border stitch before and it makes quite a mess with larger wool. 

Dannielle

Dannielle Perry
www.timelytresses.com
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:34:57 AM »

April 1859 Peterson's has this one.

Materials. - 1 oz. white single zephyr, 2 oz. colored single zephyr, pair small bone needles, pair large wooden needles.

On the small needles, and with the white wool, cast on 125 stitches. Knit 10 rows plain.  Join the colored wool, kint 11th row plain, 12th purl, 13th plain, 14th purl, observing to narrow once at the beginning of every row.  Join the white wool.  Knit same as colored stripe just described.  100 rows completes the head piece.  Narrowing once at the beginning of every row will make it the perfect shape.

For the border. - Cast on 6 stitches.  knit 1st row plain. 
2nd Row. - Put the right hand needle into the 1st stitch, then work the thread four times around the needles.  Knit these loops into the 1st stich.  Repeat to the end of the row.  3rd row plain, 4th same as 2nd.  Knit a piece long enough for the face of hood, making 4 rows of loops colored, 4 rows white.

For the Cape. - Use the large needles, and with the colored wool cast on 164 stiches.  Knit 1st row plain.  2nd row, 1st stich off without knitting.  Narrow 5 time, *thread forward knit 1-thread forward knit1-thread forward knit 1-thread forward knit 1-thread forward narrow 5 times*. Repeat to the end of needle. 3rd row plain.  Knit 10 pattern rows - bind off.
A second cape is to be knit same as the 1st one, to be sewed a little above the other as seen in te drawing.  Finish with ribbon strings.  Cord and tassels to draw at the back of hood. 

I haven't tried this one, so I am not sure what they mean by small needles.  The best thing to do would be to gauge the pattern according to your wool and how you want it to fit.  I would suggest a rather fine wool because I have done the border stitch before and it makes quite a mess with larger wool. 

Dannielle

I've not done this one either, but single zephyr is going to be around a modern fingering weight, so the needles will probably be around a 2 or 3.  If you have to alter the number of stitches, etc., to make the pattern fit, that's the way to go instead of going up in needle and yarn size....and good to know someone has tried the stitch with larger wool, and found that doesn't work well...it bears out the research that shows smaller sized yarn.

Colleen Formby

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Frau Burau
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »

I have done this one (I know, old thread but was looking for winter hoods for kids, stumbled on this and yadda yadda yadda)!  Yes, it will look like shag but it is worth it!

Very nice and warm (my youngest, age 5, wears it now)!
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

Beautiful!  So very cute.  I love the blue colour.

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: